Help with new home setup

Popped3off

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
I bought a new home with 2 built in speakers in living room, 2 in master and 2 out by pool. Everything runs to a central location which I was told would need a receiver. I know nothing about receivers So I’m lost on what to buy. I’d like to be able to play music in each location independently. Example, music outside but not playing in liv room or master. Do I need 3 2 channel receivers? Any help appreciated!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My home had wired speakers out on the rear deck when I purchased. The thing is, stuff like this is usually not very good quality. I ended up ignoring them and purchasing one of those portable speaker systems. They're much easier to setup/use than a receiver and can be easily paired with your mobile devices, where most of us keep the majority of our music anyway. These are also cheap enough to own several if you don't like the idea of moving them from room to room.

If you want a more elegant [and expensive] solution you could look into a SONOS system. I'm personally way too cheap to pay for one but they do seem like they would be very nice when properly implemented.

• Agreed
Reactions: JohnRice

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
If you're not looking to have different music playing in different rooms you can buy a decent 2-channel receiver and a speaker selector box either with volume controls or you can put a volume control at each location which is more expensive and requires more work but it's a lot easier to use that way. If you want to be able to listen to different music in different rooms at the same time then you need a multi-source multi-zone amplifier system.

xx Brian xx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
You could use Sonos, Yamaha MusicCast or Denon/Marantz Heos. All three will allow you to play each zone independently or link them into groups.
Sonos has the most power at 125 watts, MusicCast IMO is the easiest app to learn and use.
With Sonos you will need three amps. With Heos and MusicCast you could get a 2 zone receiver for the 2 zones in the house and then get a separate amp, like the WXA50 from Yamaha, for the pool area. The advantage to having a receiver is that you could expand it to run 5 or more speakers in the living room in the future.
If I was going to use the system to play audio from the TV in the living room and music I would go with the receiver and separate amp.
If I only wanted to play music through all the speakers, I would go with Sonos because of the power.
Welcome to the awesome world of multi zone audio!

Brian

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay