What's new

Help with new H/K Signature amp (1 Viewer)

meeks

Agent
I just got a Signature 2.1 off ebay & Im having a problem with it. I've got everything hooked up right it seems, rca's from my HK 230 to the amp & speaker wires. I dont think I have a 12v trigger on the back of my 230 but I still cant get the amp to get out of standby mode when I run it manualy. The "signature" logo doesnt light up & all I see is the amber led light when the button is pressed in & the red light when its off. Am I missing anything here? I dont believe there are any settings in the receiver that I need to set to use a external amp? Or maybe I just got a bad amp(probably it).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
If it is anything like my Citation 7.1, the Signature logo should light up in blue. On my Citation, amber is a sign that something is not right. I don't have an HK receiver, but there are no settings on any of the receivers I have, to use the pre-outs into a power amp.

The fact that the Signature logo does not light up is not a good sign, but could be just a burnt out bulb.

Have you tried disconnecting everything but the power cord from the amp? The amp should power up normally with no RCAs or speaker wires. If it doesn't something is probably wrong with it.

You can also try reconnecting everything just to make sure you have no stray strands of speaker wire touching where they should not.

meeks

Agent
Yea, I pluged it in right when I got it to see if it would power up right before I had to go to work. I hooked it up when I got home & had problems. The manual says that the light is suposed to flash green when you turn it on & when its warmed up then the sig. light lights up. When I pluged it in by itself all I saw was the amber light. Im going to see if the guy will take it back & if not Ill contact ebay & see what they can do, he didnt have "Item sold as is" in the listing so that might save me. I got the amp real cheap anyways, but I figure it will cost too much to have fixed if it needs to be.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I thought the light is supposed to go green when everything is OK. Different about the Sig light coming on only after warmup. If it is not working maybe not warming up so who knows about that.

Seems like maybe the reason you got it so cheap was because it is broken. Unscrupulous sellers are a big pain in the ass. Did the seller have a rating? I am generally wary of anyone who is either a first time seller or who doesn't have a ~95% rating.

I hope you can get it resolved without too much grief.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I have both a citation 5.1 and the Sig 2.1
The LED's are not the same.
Maybe this will help
http://www.cinenow.com/pdf/harman-ka...1_man12_us.pdf
Power Switch: Press this switch to turn the 2.1 on
for manual operation, or to place it in the Standby mode
for automatic/remote turn-on when the 2.1 is connected
to a device with a compatible trigger circuit.

Power On Indicator: When the word SIGNATURE is
illuminated in blue, the 2.1 is in a normal operating
condition.

LED Indicator: The color of this indicator varies
with the status of the 2.1. It is red when the unit is off
and in manual operation, amber in the standby mode,
and flashing green during warm-up. If the indicator
flashes and alternates between red and amber, the 2.1
is in the protect mode, indicating a problem in the unit
or connections to the speakers.

meeks

Agent
But in manual mode(power button pressed in) the amp should flash green & then light up the sig logo even if nothing is connected correct? Mine goes straight to amber when powered up.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Are you sure you do not have anything plugged into the trigger?

On my 2.1
Main power button out/off = Red LED

Main power button in/on WITH Trigger Cable attached = Amber
Without current on the trigger cable.

Main power button in/on WITHOUT Trigger Cable attached = Flash Green then goes Blue

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Make sure that the 3.5mm trigger cable plug leg was not broken off and is still remaining inside the trigger port of the amp.
I could see this as a possibility of your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread