What's new

Help with new DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Thira

Agent
My Yamaha DVD S700 player just died. I added an addition to my home ans had a media room put in. Included components include:
Panasonic 50 inch plasma monitor
Samsung TS160 HDTV Tuner
Yamaha DSP A1 Home Theater AV unit
Monitor Audio Silver Series Speakers S10 x2, S1 x3, S-SCL center channel, SFX Surrounds x2
Velodyne HGS-18 subwoofer
Terk TV-55 HD TV antenna
3 LNB Satellite dish
Sony Turntable
I had an yamaha DVD S700 player just died. I also plan to replace the AV unit.
I am not famaliar with the latest DVD players. My needs include high quality DVD player with progressive scanning, and the unit will also play CD's (and also CD's burned on my computer- I am converting my extensive LP collection)
I have recently put a Sony DRU-510A DVD +/- RW+/-R into my computer and would also like the DVD player to play DVD's that I have burned.
Any suggestions on the DVD Player to purchase? I read a thread on the Pioneer DV 563A which seemed interesting. I would like a quality unit.
Thanks for the anticipated replies.

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Thira,
Do you want a recording DVD player?
I have heard that the new sony 999 isn`t to bad (no DVI ) and IMO thats going to be a big issue in the months to come.
Maybe and inexpensive player like a sony 725 or denon 900 (just to tide U over)~( just a thought ) :)

O-BTW: Whats wrong with the A1 , I luv mine ? :b

What kind of LD player do you have ( just curio ) , do you need any more LD`s ?

Take care :)
Gary

Thira

Agent
Hi Gary- Thanks for the replay.
The Yamaha A1 is a great unit. WHat I didn't add about my system is that I have in addition to my home theater room speakers, 4 speakers outside around my pool area, and two other rooms in my home, each with speakers. These are powered by an Adcom power amp, and controlled by a speaker selector box.
This said, I sometimes have parties where some are watching TV in the media room. I would like to have music into the pool area and the rest of my home. The newer A/V units allow separate programing as I understand it. This would be the only reason to replace the Yamaha A1.
BTW, I have no LD player.
One mistake I made in the media room- I had the room wired during construction, but I was not famaliar with new technology. So unfortunately, while all wiring is in the walls, the electronics sit on a wooden Danish piece of furniture, which looks great, and sits below the Panasonic Plasma Monitor. My preference in retrospect would have been to put the electronics in an adjoining closet, hidden from visual site.
The Danish Furniture is a series of rectangles holding the following:
Yamaha DSP A1
Sony Turntable
MonitorAudio Silver SLR center channel speaker
Samsung TS160 HDTV Tuner
Adcom ACE-315 Surge Supressor
Adcom GFA-555 Power Amp (for 4 speakers around pool- two Bose mounted under a Lanai & two rock speakers in the Garden, two other rooms each with two speakers)
CSI Speaker selector for the speakers running off the Adcom GFA-555
Harman/Kardon TU930 AM/FM Tuner with a Terk FM50 antenna in the attic- wish I had a solution for an AM antenna
DVD Player: I am leaning to the Denon 5900; considering the Pioneer DV-563A until the Denon comes out and then moving it to another room with a 36 inch TV to keep my kids out of the media room.
Thanks for the interest- I am fast catching up to the new technology. CHeck this review on Sony DVP-NS999ES-pretty negative on Sony in general
epinions.com/content_95421369988
Thira

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Thira,
Yes , that is the down side of the A-1 is that it`s not "multi-room" . Alot of recievers are , but every thing is comming down in cost so you might want to concider keeping the A-1 for your Home Theater and picking up a decent reciever for pool area and the rest of your home.
That way your home theater room will always have a realy great amp. And the rest of your home can get radio stations (if thats an interest ).
I have not read any reviews about the 999ES , but you would think that with a 5 Yr, warranty and the leasons learned after there 700 series dvd players , they would get it right. I also was wondering , why dosen`t the 999 have DVI out !! There new TV`s have a DVI in-put ! O-well that`s Sony LOL :)
Do you have the Black or the Gold /-w- Rosewood , A-1
I was lucky , the store I bought mine from had one gold / w r-wood left plus they gave me 1K in trade on my old DSP-A 3090. So I figure I ended up with a pretty good deal. The rest of my "stuff" is;
Pioneer DV-09 dvd player
Pioneer CLD-99 LD player
Sony HI VCR
Sony XBR Wega 32"
Velodyne F1200 sub
Boston VR 40 `s for front
Boston VR 12 center
Boston HD 5 front f/x
Boston CR 8`s for rear
You sound like you have some realy neat "stuff" :)
( that 18" Velodyne has to be breaking the foundation :) )
Have fun and take care ;)
Gary

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Me again, I forgot to mention that it is best not to inclose your "stuff" unless your planing on seperate A/C , or at least some way of venting all the heat that will be produced.
It`s unlikely to do any damage to your home , but you could end-up with some fried gear :frowning:
And that would be no fun at all !!

Gary ;)

Thira

Agent
Gary
The furniture has no back and good ventilation. The Velodyne 18" makes the system (picked it up on EBay fro $1600 and a two year warranty as it was a demo unit). My walls literally do shake.
BTW, just picked up the Pioneer DVD 563A for $160. Will try it this weekend. When the Denon comes out, I'll move the 563A to another TV.
C'ya!

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Thira,
Open back , then thats fine , it will help to put the amp (reciever) on top (heat rises) !
Best of luck with your Pioneer , you just can`t beat there customer service , if you need them.
They rebuilt my CLD-99 , no charge , and it was over a year out of warranty !!
Just make sure that thumper doesn`t cause disc skip LOL
By,
Gary ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks