What's new

Help with new DVD player search (1 Viewer)

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the Toshiba 4800 DVD player because my older Pioneer was starting to have some bad problems. The Toshiba is a nice player but the layer change menu change pauses are bothering me. Layer and menu switchs take a full second or two on all discs. Some discs are worst than others. I realize that most standalone players exhibit this trait but I feel that this player is not performing up to standard in this regard.

Does anyone know of any players that perform well in this area (lack of or very little pause)? I don't really want to spend anymore than $200-$250. I was looking at the Mitsubishi models but I heard someone say that they are Toshiba drives, so I figure they will perform the same. I think the return period is almost up so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
I know someone can help. I've definitely decided the Toshiba is going back. I can't take the slow access times, noisy drive (not the loader but the actual drive when playing) and long layer change pauses.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I just purchased the same Toshiba 4800 to replace my Pioneer 440 player. The only problem with the pioneer was a terrible anamorphic downconversion, and I wanted to get into DVDA.
I had exactly the same experiences, the drive is really noisy while playing, it's slow to load a new disc, the display can't show both track # and time at the same time. It also causes my TV to hum on the component video input, while my Pioneer and XBox do not.
I would like to audition a new player before I return this so I'm quite interested in the Pioneer 656A. If there's anyone in the Bay Area who know's where I can actually audition this I would be greatful. I've tried GG, CC, BB, Fry's, and a couple of smaller retailers and no luck.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
I ran into the same issue. Nobody has DVD players setup up to audition. By the way I did return the Toshiba and bought a Samsung DVD player. I ended up taking that one back because it too was slow loading and it would randomly lose all the settings. I replaced the Samsung with a Sony DVP-NS715P.

It was hard to bring myself to buy a Sony product but I've been much happier with this DVD player. The picture and sound are good and it loads much faster and is quiter than the other drives. It does occasionaly have a long pause between layer changes but at this time I can live with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks