Help with new drive!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Anthony Moore, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

So I just bought this internal 16x dvd-rom. I like to go dvd-dvd when copying to my dvd-writer.

Here's the problem..I connected it through my ide cable and conencted the power. I put the jumper on "cable select" (which very well might be my problem).

The computer finds it fine, and even reads dvds and cds. The problem is that its SOOO slow. I did a test and it reads at like 1.25x when its supposed to be 16x. It also makes my mouse move very strangely around the screen when I try to do anything when its reading from the drive.

ANy ideas? Should it be on slave or master instead? Is that my problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

look to see if DMA is enabled

3. Anthony Moore

where do i look for that?

4. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

in order to get satisfactory results from your setup you will have to put each device on it's own master cable.

i am not sure what type of computer/specs you have but it may require you to purchase an additional ide controller card. i have a setup that allows me to do what you are trying to do but ALL of my drives are on their own master controller. It really increases my speed doing everything.

go to www.videohelp.com and do some searching around the faqs. you will get all of the information you need from there.

5. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

oh and cable select is always a bad idea.

6. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

DMA should be automatically implemented for your burners if you're using XP. Windows takes care of that for you. It will even set your transfer mode to PIO if your experiencing a lot of errors with DMA. You can check your IDE/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager.

But I doubt that that's your problem. You need to set Master/Slave settings on your drives. If you use Cable Select and aren't using a CS cable, it won't work properly.

Check for bent pins if the above doesn't work.

And remember, your devices will always work at the speed of the slowest device on the controller.

I doubt that it has anything to do with software.

Just to be clear, you have a DVD-ROM and a DVD burner on the same IDE cable, correct?

7. Anthony Moore

thats right..I have my burner and dvd-rom on the same cable. should I buy a seperate master cable for them both?

Also..my burner is a SLOOOW reader. so youre saying that if i have my 16x reader on the same ide as my 2x reader, even the faster one will only run at 2x?

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    At the very least I wouldn't have both optical drives on the same cable. I'd pair the reader with your hard drive and put the burner on the 2nd IDE channel. That way when you'e either copying a disc (that you have the legal right to copy [​IMG]) or burning from the hard drive all of your I/O is not running on the same channel. Cable select has always worked fine in my experience, provided the cable supports it. (And all the drives, obviously. You can't have a drive set to master because it has no c/s setting and a second drive on cable select. [​IMG]) But it can't hurt to switch to master/slave settings, either. As a rule you want to make the hard drive on a channel the master and the optical drive the slave.

Regards,

Joe

9. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

What I usually end up recommending is just to try different configurations and see which one works best. Try what Joseph mentioned--he knows his stuff. And do a little research also. We try to help here, but when it comes to computers you can never have enough input.