What's new

Help with new contruction home theater build (1 Viewer)

eurovw89

Grip

Hello everyone. I have attacked a picture of my almost finished (just need carpet/seating) home theater room, and I know that its not actually "acoustically" friendly but is all I could do. My ceilings are just shy of 8', also have a soffit above my TV that is housing a trunk line, all the lines and electrical going to the outdoor A/C unit....which is 79" of the floor, and an arm bar where the bar stools are. This is my setup:

TV - Panasonic TC-P65GT50
AVR - VSX 1019ah-k
Center - Yamaha NS c444
L&R - Yamaha NS555
Rear Surrounds - NS333
Back Surrounds - NS333
Sub - PA120

seating - Palliser accelerators and unknow sofa

Was wondering what I could do to make this as much acoustically friend as possible, and what other ideas for seating arrangements others could think of. I am going to make a riser for the sofa (2nd row). Also where are good places for bass traps and acoustic panels?

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The carpet is coming Oct 26th and the seating Oct 29th.

Thanks a million,
Jeff

eurovw89

Grip
Since I dont have a wall at my first acosutic reflection (on the right) what should I do? And how do I use the mirror trick on the back wall?......do I turn around and have someone move the mirror across thr back wall til I see one speaker and then both?

eurovw89

Grip
Also should I hang an acoustic panel in the bottom of my soffit since there isn't any insulation, etc...?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
A room 10' wide is hard to work with, been there done that and I dont envy you your task. The rears look good but them surrounds are going to be awfully close to the listeners, probably resulting in a speaker-in-the-ear effect and a breakdown of the surround sound field. I suggest you mount your surrounds higher than normal or replace them with dipoles to give you a more diffused sound. I also recommend you drop your seating to two-wide per row and get one more Accelerator for your back row.

If you dont have a first reflection point on the right then its not a reflection point and theres nothing you need to do there. I recommend bass traps in the front corners especially but in your case all four corners of the room look practical and treatment in all of them is preferred. Your front row distance from the display will be determined by the spread distance of your mains, so youll probably be sitting pretty close to the display in the first row, remember you dont want your speakers too close to the side walls if you can help it. You also dont want your seating too close to the walls. Im not sure how much youll need to treat your back wall, the room seems pretty deep and the seating is a good distance. Treatment there wont be as significant as your first and second reflection points and bass traps. Remember that an opening is not a reflection point so it looks like youll only need to be treating one first reflection and maybe one second reflection.

eurovw89

Grip
Type A said:
A room 10' wide is hard to work with, been there done that and I dont envy you your task. The rears look good but them surrounds are going to be awfully close to the listeners, probably resulting in a speaker-in-the-ear effect and a breakdown of the surround sound field. I suggest you mount your surrounds higher than normal or replace them with dipoles to give you a more diffused sound. I also recommend you drop your seating to two-wide per row and get one more Accelerator for your back row.

If you dont have a first reflection point on the right then its not a reflection point and theres nothing you need to do there. I recommend bass traps in the front corners especially but in your case all four corners of the room look practical and treatment in all of them is preferred. Your front row distance from the display will be determined by the spread distance of your mains, so youll probably be sitting pretty close to the display in the first row, remember you dont want your speakers to close to the side walls if you can help it. You also dont want your seating too close to the walls. Im not sure how much youll need to treat your back wall, the room seems pretty deep and the seating is a good distance. Treatment there wont be as significant as your first and second reflection points and bass traps. Remember that an opening is not a reflection point so it looks like youll only need to be treating one first reflection and maybe one second reflection.
Thanks. Im not sure what you are saying here "I also recommend you drop your seating to two-wide per row and get one more Accelerator for your back row.". Are you meaning get rid of the sofa and put two pallisers in its place?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your seating placement is all wrong. You should have equal walking distance on both sides. Not one side pushed up against the wall(as it appears in your drawing).

Your rear speakers also need to come more toward the back couch. Or slide your seating back.

I also 2nd the idea of mounting your 4/5 up. Possibly ceiling mounted facing down(but I don't think di/bi-pole is necessary...but I don't like them, so I never recommend them). like this example in the picture...
http://www.amazon.com/Omnimount-10-0-Stainless-Ceiling-Speaker/dp/B00006LHDT/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381358936&sr=1-18&keywords=ceiling+mount+speaker

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
eurovw89 said:
Thanks. Im not sure what you are saying here "I also recommend you drop your seating to two-wide per row and get one more Accelerator for your back row.". Are you meaning get rid of the sofa and put two pallisers in its place?

Yes, I dont think three abreast works in a room that narrow. And I would go with two pair of recliners just because you will already have a spare and two pair will, IMO, just look better than a pair and a couch.

Heres a shot of my last living room theater. This room was 10' wide and just a pair of recliners didnt really fit but I managed with the small room till I moved to another house. The surround speakers were mounted high up on the wall out of frame (you can see the speaker wire running up the wall on the left):

104_0312_zps72005804.jpg

eurovw89

Grip
Type A said:
Yes, I dont think three abreast works in a room that narrow. And I would go with two pair of recliners just because you will already have a spare and two pair will, IMO, just look better than a pair and a couch.

Heres a shot of my last living room theater. This room was 10' wide and just a pair of recliners didnt really fit but I managed with the small room till I moved to another house. The surround speakers were mounted high up on the wall out of frame (you can see the speaker wire running up the wall on the left):

104_0312_zps72005804.jpg
which chairs are these....? look like the ones I am getting.

Thank you everyone for your input, decisions, decisions, decisions are driving me nutz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks