1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Help With My Web Page

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Loewen, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI!
    I want my web page to look better. I mean larger with the ability to put more pics / links / info on a page. Generally I dont have a clue about html. I have been using the instant load program from geocities and have found this to be user friendly.
    One specific request is that I have a "wider" page.
    See http://www.greggloewen.com/GreggsHT.html for an example of my old page.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. One problem that I have is that my firewall wont let me to ftp(?) file transfers.
    Gregg

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

have you thought about getting an older copy of something like dreamweaver??? I currently still use version 3.0 and i think its the best thing since notepad.exe!

3. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Hi Gregg,

I am still a novice, but just finished up a quarter of Web development. I think using more tables, and picture thumnails is your answer. During class, we had to use Notepad for all development, nothing else. Since then, I've been using Front Page and Dreamweaver. I actually like FP better.

Not sure how to get around your firewall issue. How exactly do you update your page now? Does the interface allow actual HTML code? If it does, do this:

Get Front Page (or other) and design yourself a page. Then simply copy the source code, then paste it into the geocities interface.

If that doesn't work, then I'm all out of ideas.

Jared

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

As Kelley mentioned above, Dreamweaver is a great tool for creating websites.
    Personally I think it's the best WYSWYG web editor out there.
    IMHO you have a pretty good start and all you really need to do is creat a new "container" for your site.
    To add width to the site you could either place everything inside one table to a set width or use percentages for the tables.(like the HTF does)
    Using percentages when building tables for your website allows the page to expand to the viewer's full screen width but IMO opinion can be difficult to work with at times.
    It's hard getting everything to look right on all different screen resolution sizes when using percentages.
    You could always just set one main table at something like 1000 pixels wide for users with 1024X768 resolution and higher and put all other content inside this main table.
    I would also suggest keeping the same look and feel through out to entire website.
    I know, I know, I 'm being too picky but it's a pet peeve of mine. Anyhow, I suggest picking a few colors you like and that work well with each other. Many of the websites I like have only 2 or 3 main colors but different shades of those main colors to compliment and complete the site's look and feel.
    One more quick favor, please stay away from crazy backgrouds. [​IMG] Especially the neon and textured stuff, people have a hard time reading the text and pictures don't look as nice against those backgrouds.
    Which firewall are you using?
    I have ran both Zone Alarm and Black Ice and have been able to FTP just fine.
    Take a look at www.htmlgoodies.com for some basic html help. It's a great site that allowed me to learn HTML at my own pace.
    Good luck Greg,
    Brian

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Gregg,
    Code:

Put info here...

Put picture tags here...

This will align your pictures to the far right of the page, while leaving your text on the left as it should be. I recommend a good book on HTML, or go to www.htmlgoodies.com and wade through their tutorials. Also, you're going to need to use FTP. I don't know what the issue is, but you need to get around it.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

7. Brian Mansure

Ryan,

I realize a 1000 pixle table will scroll on a screen running at a smaller resolution, that's why I added that it would be good for users with 1024x768 and higher.

Personaly I continue to develope all my sites for 800x600 by placing everything inside a left aligned table set at 760 pixles to accomadate things like a side docked toolbar.

This allows 800x600 users to see the entire page without having to scroll to the right or left.

Just my preference.

Brian

8. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I know I am probably in the minority, but I have continued coding for 640x480 just to satisfy the lowest common denominator. I HATE having to side scroll anything on the internet. Many of the users who make up the target audience of the site I program for are decidedly low-tech, many with ancient computers definitely running 640x480.

Also, I love Front Page 2000... but am very grateful for my circa 1994 experience programming sites using Notepad only. It helps to know HTML so you can tweak to perfection the FrontPage code.

9. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

greg:

i don't think i saw it addressed here, but i would definitely look into a image editting program like paint shop pro 7.0 or whatever products adobe offers. you really need to reduce some of your image sizes. 163k for that small lowenbrau / popcorn jpg? that's insane! you could reduce that to closer to 20-30k and still have good resolution. i didn't check all the image sizes, but that page took quite a while to load on my 56k modem. i webmaster part-time / pro bono for the tattoo shop my girfriend works at. i try to keep the images as fast loading as i can. i'm not exactly sure what you mean by "wider" but using tables does help dramatically as far as image placement. frames can be a nice addition as well, just don't go crazy if you decide to use them. with web design, as in life, K.I.S.S. as far as wysiwyg editors, i've always been partial to netscape composer 4.7x series.

kevin t

edit: just checked some of the other pics. 500+k each for those rack pics! dear lord man, that's 1 meg between two pictures!

10. Brian Mansure

Kevin,
    You bring up a great point and one that I forgot to mention earlier.
    I too looked at most of the images and found they were larger then they needed to be.
    I believe there are even a few freeware or sharware image editors you could download and use to optimize those images.
    I would check www.zdnet.com or other download/review sites.
    Have fun,
    Brian

11. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Wow! I had no idea my pics were soo big. I guess the first thing to do is to make them smaller. This is something I thought the geocities software did when I uploaded them to the site.

When I say make it wider (as in my page). I am viewing on a 1024 screen and my HT pics page only takes up about 2/3 of the page. Im thinking I could fit a lot more onto one page if I could put more pics to the right, but the geocities software wont allow for it.

12. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Some of your pictures are still at their original size (the rack pictures are 1200 x 1792) so it's no wonder they're so big. You should really try to keep each page's content down to below 100k for those still on dial-up (which is most people).
    I've re-sized and optimised the pictures on your HT page. Combined images should now be around 140k (which is still a little big, but not bad) from the original 1.6 meg. Here's the optimised image directory.
    Adam

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    You probably also have a version of "lite" version of FrontPage on your computer (it comes with IE I believe), which is a decent WYSIWIG tool for beginners. The online tools that places like GeoCities provide can also be good, as you've found.
    As others said, save your images as lower-res GIF or medium-quality JPEG images. They will look as good, and load much faster.
    In terms of layout, others have given good info. I suggest sketching on paper what you want your website to look like. Then work to create that with your web editor tool.
    Some program suggestions:
    Retail Programs:
    I use PhotoImpact for images. I generally like it, and especially appreciate its save panel, which lets you preview the image as you fiddle with compression parameters.
    For HTML coding, I use Homesite 5.0.
    For freeware, I've used:Arachnophilia, a nice little program. Also, 1st Page 2000 looks very nice, as a freeware editor.

14. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    thanks guys, especially Adam!!!

I had no idea that my page is 1.6 megs, thats way too large.

Im going to start doing some stuff today. First thing to do will be to replace those pics.

Gregg

15. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Okay, I used Adam's resizing to make my HT page much smaller. Now to try some of the suggested freeware to do the same with my sonotube sub page.

Gregg