Help with my Toshiba 24AF42

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Ware, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Scott Ware

Scott Ware Stunt Coordinator

Hello. I've got a few questions about my television:

1) Just recently, while using the THX Optimiser Menu, I've noticed that the left and right sides of the screen tend to distort the image. Specifically, when ever a straight line appears on the left or right, it is desplayed as slightly curved. That same line would appear perfectly straight anywhere else on the screen. Is this a problem with the picture tube that can't be fixed?

2) If not, can it be fixed through either the service menu or by a repairman?

Thanks in advance!

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Service menu fix.
    its not that hard, you just have to know where to go and where not to go in the service menu. the first time i went into the service menu on my toshiba it was actually the technician doing it, ever since then i realized how easy it is and i do it myself [​IMG]
    if the tv is under warranty you might want to get a tech in to look at it, and watch what they do.... maybe you will get lucky and your tech will "accidentally" leave the service menu instructions at your house, cause like my tech said, how would we know if you went into the service menu?

3. Scott Ware

Scott Ware Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. After screwing around in the service menu for a while (after writing down the factory settings, of course), I figured out that it's a contrast problem. By adjusting the contrast controls in the service menu, I was able to eliminate the problem. The image doesn't seem nearly as bright now. Is this normal?

P.S. I just now noticed that there is a tweaking section that would probably be better suited for this topic. If anyone wants to move this topic, be my guest.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

did you calibrate with avia first? a problem they describe is if your contrast i believe is too high and you have an inadequate power supply it can cause bending of vertical lines.

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

From your initial description, it sounds like a geometry problem which can be "corrected" via a number of settings in the service menu. One usually can't completely fix these type of problems though - just make them less noticeable. But from your followup, it sounds like you first need to calibrate your tv with either Avia or VE. What is the contrast setting in your user menu? I have a 20AF41 model and I found that this tv had a very high contrast and a very hot grayscale. After calibrating all settings with Avia and some eye tweaking of the grayscale in the service menu to take some of the blue out of the lower range, my contrast setting was still calibrated to 15 out of 63. As John mentioned, a contrast setting that is too high will cause the power supply to be overworked which will lead to more distortion of geometry for one thing in addition to accelerated wear and tear on the phopshors.

cheers,

--tom