What's new

Help with my spaghetti nightmare (1 Viewer)

AdamR-UK

Auditioning
I'm in need of some good advice from some more seasoned people, and I'm turning to you good folks. I have a small living room, and lots of things that need connecting to one another, and as I'm sure you all know it's cable chaos. Here's my own particular problem.

I have a 32" Philips widescreen set with one working scart socket (thankfully the RGB one). From speaking to the engineers it seems lots of Philips sets on the A10 chassis have problems, I get cross interference on AV channels and rolling menus and OSD, but this is another story. I have a terrestrial digital box, dvd player, VCR and at least 3 games consoles connected at any one time. At present I have the DVD player through the VCR, through the Digibox to a scart selector block, to the TV. I have 2 of the consoles into the same selector box, and the third through the s-video input on the side of the set.

This for me is far from ideal, as I'd like to have RGB for all involved, and the scart selector is basic and ugly and only gives RGB output on one input. I'm going to be upgrading my sound system as well, up from the all-in-one solution I bought years ago with Dolby Digital and only 1 coax input (no optical).

I'm relatively green to all of this, but not totally naive. Would I be correct in assuming a decent A/V receiver may be the way to go? Hopefully there are a few people out there in a similar predicament to me and have solved it. If anyone can point me in the right direction or even make suggestions I'd be more than grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Ah, yeah... a receiver, even a modest one. I used to have a similar, but not quite as messy, situation - this and that going into this with a couple of little a/v switches and some things would work and some wouldn't without some switching of cables, etc.

Get yourself a receiver and all will be well.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
You can try one of these devices:

Pelican Switch

Audio Authority

Inday Switches

Zektor

Some of these are expensive but high quality. If you are looking at upgrading your receiver then that would be the way to go. Most receivers only have 2 RGB ( but multiple s-video and composite) inputs so if you need more than that you would still need to get one of these switching devices.

Laters,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks