1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with my Sony receiver (STRDE875)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Stevens, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Frank Stevens

Frank Stevens Auditioning

You'll have to excuse me for being a complete novice when it comes to home theater setup and connections. Computers I know, HT I do not.
    Heres the problem. I have a new DVD player with Optical outputs as well as S-Video and composite video outs (Sony DVP-NS400D). I want the optimum connection between my receiver and my dvd player. I thought that by going with an optical cable for sound, and the S-Video cable for video, I would get this. Only problem is, when I do this, and turn my TV on, the video isn't playing through. The TV just displays "No signal detected"
    I have composite hookups to the TV from the reciever. Am I missing a step here?
    Thank you so much in advance.

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Hey Frank welcome aboard!
    To clear up your problem, you'll need to run s-video IN to the receiver from DVD, then run S-Video cable OUT of receiver to TV. It's not possible to convert S-video signals to composite in the set-up you have.
    Hope this helps
    Alfer
    ------------------
    Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at The Enormodome
    Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Club Enormodome

3. Frank Stevens

Frank Stevens Auditioning

Well that would explain a lot! [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help! I might post more questions in here later, seeing as how I am so proficient at the HT setup (ha!). I did get it working with the optical for sound and one A/V cable for the video. I'll have to keep this setup until I buy a new TV.
    Thanks again!