Help with my Panasonic TV!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Charles Coates, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Charles Coates

Hello!

I purchased a Phillips 727 DVD player (so I could watch region 2 movies), and I own a Panasonic 22" Diagonal LCD TV. Model number TC-22LT1.

I can play the movies on my DVD player (I can hear the sound coming through my Panasonic receiver), but the image rolls on my television. I thought the player had a conversion built in, or something.. Anyways.. does anybody know how to stop the rolling picture, so I can watch THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER? [​IMG]

Thanks!

-Charlie

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Charles,

Region 2 movies can either be from Japan or Europe. If they're Japanese, they are coded for NTSC and can be played on any US TV set.

When they're European, they're coded for PAL (different frame frequency - that's what causes the rolling on your set - and different number of pixels) and can only be played on a display device (like a TV set) that can handle PAL input.

Most players do not convert PAL to NTSC. In Europe, most TV sets now convert NTSC to PAL without a problem (technically it's also slightly easier than converting PAL to an NTSC designed set). And because almost all new European DVD-players are now standardly multi-region, lots of buyers here aren't even aware of the region problem.

Cees