What's new

Help with my new Family Room layout (1 Viewer)

Josh Mc

Grip
Hello All,

We are building a new house with the worst possible shaped family room for a home theater.

Here is a sketch of the planned room:

Here are the cabinets we bought for the main wall:

The taller of the cabinets will be on the left, with the tv stand on the right. Originally I wanted to do two of the large cabinets on each side, but the wall length and door to the basement pose a problem for this solution.

Right now I don't know if the center channel would be better suited centered above the cabinets or above the tv. The sectional couch will be the main viewing area for this setup.

The side and rear speakers are both in-wall speakers. Would I be better off mounting the rear speakers in the ceiling so I can get even placement along the viewing plane?

Can anyone give any suggestions for ways to improve the setup for this room?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Mc

Grip
Here is the second setup I'm considering, with the rears being in ceiling and sides in-wall...

The only thing with this is the big gap to the right of the tv.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would go with the second idea since the mains are equidistant from the TV in that one. You could always put something to fill the space on the right - not necessarily another cabinet but something of similar size that will balance it out, whether a few large plants or something else decorative rather than functional. Or maybe one of those privacy screens that hold about six or eight 8x10 photographs?

Josh Mc

Grip
And a third option...

I sort of like this one becaue the tv is at a better angle from the couch, but it does leave the chair by the firplace out of the surround sound.

That's more of a reading chair anyhow though

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I like option B, and as for the space to the right of the Tv. Why not just reverse the hinges on the door so it would swing the opposite way and do what you had planned on initially, and add a second large cabinet. Assuming it would fit. The main speakers are placed too close together in options A and C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks