1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with my ideas for a system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ZachW, Nov 10, 2002.

1. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I've been thinking about getting a 6.1 HT system and I've come up with the following for around 1500-1700.
    Reciever-Denon 1803
    Center-Jbl N-center
    Mains-Jbl N38II
    Surrounds-3 Jbl N24II's
    Sub-Adire Dharman
    Is this a pretty good low budget combination? Can you think of anything I could do better for around the same price? I like what I have for speakers and the sub, but could I do better for a reciever? This is going in a 20x20 room with around 10 feet high roof or so. I want this system to get loud, sound good/clear, and get low. Would this give me that? thanks

2. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

Hello Zach,

Since you have a Sub, you may want to consider getting the JBL S28 II's. This way if you want to upgrade in the future you can move them to rears and have quite a decent quality rear channel. They do an excellent (cost considering) job for front speakers and you may find if you listen without visually biasing yourself against their smaller size that they could sound better. Just give them a listen before you settle on the Northridge series, it's worth your time if your going to shell out the cash.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

How much do the jbl's cost.

Curious cause you might be able to get the acoustic research hi res stuff for the same price.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

From looking at the prices at best buy you probably can get the hi res stuff for the same price and my opinion they sound better.
    Go to www.accessories4less.com
    AR4c Hi Res center 129.99
    AR17 Hi Res Rears 164.99 for both
    AR11 Hi Res Mains 399.99 for both
    Talk to mark and he may be able to give you somewhat of a discount if you order all the speakers at once.
    The above setup is what I own and I would take it over the JBL's any day.
    Again my opinion...but if anything read up on them either at accessories4less or go to http://www.acoustic-research.com/index.asp

5. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I would get anything in the S series or do something better then the N24's for surrounds, but i want a smaller speaker that won't stand out as much or take up much room. That's why I like the N24's For the N38's I'll just put them next to the T.V. Could you reccomend any better speakers that are around the same price and size? And can you reccomend a better reciever for around the same price? thanks

6. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I'm rethinking the sub, would a SVS 20-39PCi be better then the Dharman? And again, are there any better speakers around the same size as the JBL's with around the same price? thanks

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Did you look at the AR's yet?
    Nice speakers!!!:b

8. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Boston Acoustics has a compact series (cr series) that don't sound too shaby and have a pretty small footprint.

9. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I looked at the AR, and they look really good, but they're a little big. I'm trying to design a home theater systen for my dad, and he'll only get one with small speakers. I just want to get the best small speakers I can for a good price.

10. Shion_ca

Zach,
    The S28 II's are the bookshelf version of the studio series. On their own they do an impressive job as front speakers in an HT setup and with a sub you'd get everything they were missing. I meant for you to consider replacing the N38's with the S28's. This allows you upgradeability of moving them to rear channel in the future if you decide to go with S38 II's in the front. I didn't mean for you to replace the N24's with S38's, you'd probably have a hard time deciding if the N38's or the S28's were the ones that deserved to be in the front. My proposal would produce less obtrusive speakers and give what I consider to be greater definition and clarity in return for some bass lost which is compensated for by the sub. You'd also probably save a couple of bucks, which I'd use towards getting the S series center to match with the S28's this would produce a better HT in my opinion, you could leave the rears as N24's if you wish but I highly suggest you at least consider the S28's as fronts instead of the N38's. Did I explain that better this time, sorry for the confusion.

11. Shion_ca

Oh Yeah,

I'm a big fan of my HK320 which does surround and multichannel just fine, even not bad on stereo. Since they are now just becoming "obsolete" due to the 325, you should be able to pick one up for 720 or so Canadian (like 10 cents US). I'm not sure what the price of a Dennon 1803 is but check the comparible HK model and consider finding the 320 as they will have sold a bunch to various stores for cheap to clear out inventory, hence stores will in turn sell for a better price.

Not quite as good as my two channel Musical Fidelity stuff, but no slouch! Give it a consideration if it's in the price range your looking at.