help with my hitachi

Discussion in 'Displays' started by TomCrabtree, Dec 18, 2003.

1. TomCrabtree

TomCrabtree Auditioning

I am hoping that someone can help me, I have a hitachi 43fwx20b and when I play a dvd on my kenwood progressive scan player, some colors sort of trail, when something is moving across the screen, red is the worst. It is not all the time, however just enough to drive me crazy! And, at times flesh tones are blotchy and look horrible with no depth. I am wondering if any one could help set me in the right direction.

2. John S

John S Producer

Try a different DVD player and component cables if it only does it on 480p from your dvd and nothing else.

I am giving that top rated TV the benefit of the doubt here for sure. I have seen similar stuff on ultra cheap progressive scan DVD players also. I have also seen this sort of thing with ultra cheap component video cables too.

Do you any other HD sources that the set works fine on?

3. TomCrabtree

TomCrabtree Auditioning

Thanks for the ideas John. Maybe it is my cables, they are not the best quality. Hopefully that will make a difference.

4. TomCrabtree

TomCrabtree Auditioning

I just got new monster cables and that did not help at all. I am wondering no if it is my dvd player. I have a kenwood 6050. Does anyone else have this setup? If so any problems.The picture trailing is annoying. In the movie swordfish in the 4th sceen Haley Berry moves across the screen wearing a red dress and the red is trailing, sort of like ghosting. I have tried all sorts of different adjustments with no luck. If anyone else has some ideas they will be greatly appreciated.

5. John S

John S Producer

Dang, a nice higher end player too....
    I was giving the Hitachi the benefit of the doubt.
    Both those devices deserve the benefit of the doubt.. lol

That TV has two component inputs on the TV? Can you try turning off Progressive scan on the DVD player? Does it make any difference? Does it make any difference if you use Component Video 1 -vs- component video 2?

From the same player if you go back to svideo, it does not do it?

Do you have any true HD sources? I mean you could always set the device to put out 480p just as the DVD player is putting out.

Does the Kenwood 6050 have DVI out? Maybe try that?

This concerns me, as I was planning on getting this same DVD player myself.

And this all was fine, I take it, and just started exhibiting this issue? Or is this an issue that has been there since the system was first setup?

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    it sounds like either a convergence issue or a y/c delay issue.

Best wishes

Gregg

7. John S

John S Producer

Gregg:
    On the lag issue? Would it be most likely the particular input on the TV? Or the DVD player?

Can convergence be off intermittenly?
    And/or just for 480p sources?

Dang, so much I don't know about all this stuff.
    I guess now that I am actually using all this 480p/1080i and component video stuff, I will eventually gain more experience on it.

Everyday I learn something new, just using my own system, it just amazes me how much there is to all the newer video technology.

8. TomCrabtree

TomCrabtree Auditioning

Greg, If there was a y/c delay issue, what is involed in correcting it? Or is it even fixable. I hope it is I just purchased this TV a couple of days ago, and I would like it to look great.

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Yes Y/c is correctable on the Hit TVs. Just call for service. It is an easy fix.

On the xxx20B sets, if convergence, you would be able to notice it on all inputs / scan rates.

Regards

Gregg

10. TomCrabtree

TomCrabtree Auditioning

Thanks for the help, I just fixed it though. Iam extremely relieved. I kind of feel stupid it was so easy. I guess that is how people learn. I adjusted the controls for noise reduction on my dvd player, which I had no idea they were there, and now it is 100% better! Thanks for the help guys

11. John S

John S Producer

Good to know.. I think I may order me one of those Kenwood units.