What's new

Help with my cat's bladder! (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang!

I have a wonderful cat named "Zeus". He is a big maine-coon and is of unknown age (since I got him at a shelter). He has been my buddy for 7 years now, so I think he is about 10 years old.

Anyway, it looks like he has diabetes or something similar in that he drinks a large amount of water everyday. He is pretty healthy otherwise (well, he is stone deaf, but still mainly okay).

My question to you, the knowledgeable elite, is what to do about his litter box? He just soaks the heck out of it every few days. It is amazing how much urine he can produce in such a short amount of time.

I have tried several brands of litter (clumping being the WORST since it just makes such a mess and sticks to his paws). I was wondering if you guys had any ingenious ideas of something different to try.

Help me out! ;)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I'd have him checked for diabetes. Frequent urination is a sign or it may be some other sign of adrenal and/or thyroid problems that may be able to be treated.

Jeff

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I had a long-haired kitty that every so often would perch in his box, and I'd look around to see where the flooding sound-fx were coming from. ;)

He had an over-active thyroid condition. Mind you, he was also around 18 years old. (Lived to the ripe-old-age of 20!)

First off, I'd stick with clumping. Just get a good kind, and scoop it regularily...daily if needed. A large blast like that won't be nice on regular non-clumping litter, and I don't know that the silica (dont do it) type will handle that volume. You could try, but that silica litter is kinda expensive.

If his paws are getting clay on 'em, maybe get one of those litter-mats that goes on the floor outside the box. They supposedly keep the cats from tracking the stuff around. Dunno if that'll help.

Meantime, wouldn't hurt to have a vet check out Zeus. Just to be sure his bladder is okay and such. :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
An overactive cat bladder can be the sign of many different things. I'd take him in to get checked.

If it turns out he is diabetic, and it can't be regulated by adjusting his diet, giving insulin shots to your cat is a lot easier than it sounds. We had a diabetic cat for a few years who had to get her shot once a day. She didn't even feel it... and actually enjoyed the attention.

The pharmacist looks at you wierd when you pick up the insulin at the drug store with the cat's name on it, though. :)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Diabetes mellitus is about the easiest disease to test for there is: 1 drop of blood & 120 seconds later you have your answer. Get him tested.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Try collecting a bucketful of [censored] packets and lay them out at the bottom of the litter box. Then cover them with the litter. Hopefully that will take care of the clumping problem while you get your cat fixed up.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks