What's new

Help with my Calibration with Avia, sharpness controll and my 47" Panny HDTV (1 Viewer)

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently recieved my Panasonic 47" HDTV and its great. Last night I decided to start calibrating it with Avia. I just decided to run the basic picture configs last night. Wen I got to the sharpness test I tried setting the sharpness on the set and chaging the setting from 0 to the highest made no difference to the graph on the avia disc for sharpness. Am I doing something wrong or am I just blind or does sharpness not come into play on this set. The source is a panny Progressive scan dvdplayer.
Also when I adjust the Picture with the avia disc (the one with the gray steps and the 2 black bars going back and for underneath)i can turn it all the way up and the top white block doesnt bloom (wich I dont think it would on a RPTV) and nothing happens to the moving bars at the bottom. So how do I set this, I cant see any point where I should stop moving the setting up, I am confused here, so i just put it in the middle.
Also, anyone know if there are separate R/G/B adjustmensts in the service menu? My red is relly high and so is my green, not as high as the red though and I have my blue set fine.
Anyone know any good sites that would explain how to focus the lenses also, my blue is pretty out of focus.
Thanks, any help would be appreciated

John_Sn

Grip
Jon,
As for the sharpness setting:
1) Turn your color control to zero.
2) In progressive mode, 480p, you are going to have to use the user menu sharpness control in the DVD player along with the 47s.
3)Run the Avia DVD in interlaced mode, 480i, then use the 47s sharpness control.
-calibration is needed to be done separately for 480i, 480p and 1080i.
As for the Picture(contrast) setting, do the same as above.
Also, yes their are R/G/B gun adjustments in the service menu. GOTO http://63.249.150.205/panny/ then the tweaks section for the red push fix.
Good luck,
John

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Only caveat I'd like to add is not to confuse red push (a color decoder problem) with grayscale. The red, green, and blue gain & bias controls are for adjusting grayscale. They should not be used for correcting red push. Red push is corrected by adjusting the color decoder parameters for axis and gain of the color components. Those change the coloration without altering the underlying grayscale.
As always, enter the service menu ONLY if you know for sure what your are doing. Heed the oft repeated and ignored advice - write down every control setting including ones which you are NOT going to change, before you make any adjustments. It's very easy to change the wrong parameter accidentally. (split infinitive and word repetition corrected)
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD
[Edited last by Guy Kuo on October 25, 2001 at 09:25 PM]

John_Sn

Grip
Bravo Guy,
Heed Mr Kuo' warnings Jon_H, as I should have warned thee.
All sorts of bad things can come from altering parameters in the service menu when one gets sloppy and doesn't understand what they are altering.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks