Help With Music System

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rani Begley, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Rani Begley

Rani Begley Auditioning

First of all I'd like to appoligise if the following is off topic.

My friend is looking for a system dedicated to music CD's. I'm not sure whar kind of system you'd need for a dedicated music system. All that we worked out so far is that he would like floorstanding loudspeakers in the system over other types (bookshelf etc.). I'm not sure but is it possible to just buy a CD player and hook it up to the speakers or do you need an amplifier somewhere in this set-up? Also this system needs to be under about AUS$2300 (US$1150 approx). Are we asking the imposible?

I appricate any help given. Thank you.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No you need to have an amplifier, such as an integrated amp or a receiver. A CD player outputs unamplified signals, so you can't hook speakers to it. Yes you should be able to do this very easily, though I'm not sure what brands and things are available in australia at what prices.

3. Rani Begley

Rani Begley Auditioning

Thanks for that Chris I really appreciate your help. We have most of the brands that are in America (Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm etc.). I’m just worried mainly about the amp. How much money should I be spending on an amp? How much money should I be spending on a CD Player? As I said I have about US$1150 to spend (don’t worry about the Australian dollars I’ll do the conversion). I greatly appreciate your input.

4. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Spend at least half your budget on the speakers. The speakers are what determines the sound quality of your system. CD player and amplifier selection have a minimal effect on the final sound. Take your favorite CDs with you and listen to as many speakers that are available. Only you (or your freind, the one who has to live with the system) can decide what speakers sound good to you. Peoples preferences are different.

5. John S

John S Producer

I think it can be done.....
    I am going to throw out something new here....

Have you looked into SACD and DVD-A music formats?
    They and others to come are the wave of the future.
    While a regular two channel system may be much easier.
    If I were you, I would try to at least allow the possibility of these newer music formats in the future.

Hard for us Yanks, to suggest products based on Aussie pricing and availability.

If you want, I can post a full system suggestion based on your price and music priority requirements.

Sound is so subjective, I think in the end you are going to have to go listen and buy stuff you really think sounds great.

6. Rani Begley

Rani Begley Auditioning

Go ahead John. I wouldn't mind suggestions. It would help give me a better idea of what too look for. The worse that could happen is that they don't sell the companies you would meantion in Oz and I would try to find an equivelent.

Also I must thank all of you for responding, it's been very helpful.

7. John S

John S Producer

$1150 US is a great budget.....

I am going to leave out a Subwoofer as your requirements are for music only....

I am going to suggest products that could do SACD, and DVD-A though, these tend to be DVD players by default, so you will have Home Theater Capabilities as well by defualt.

I show the Pioneer DV-563A at $180 many places, this is what is called a universal player that will play DVD's (progressive scan too way cool, not that you have to use it for video), CD's, SACD's, DVD-A's.....

For speakers, I still like the JBL Studio line, I show good availability on the S26II models for $160 per pair, you need to get three pair.

This puts you at $680 for speakers and your CD/SACD/DVD-A/DVD player.

Take $1150 and subtract $680 and this leaves you $470 for a very capable Receiver/AVR, such devices have multiple amps built in, as well as AM/FM radio tuner, and all the in's and out's imaginable, this will be great for Music, HomeTheater, or anything else you may want to throw at it.

For this device since I love Denon, I have to suggest the AVR-1804 which goes for right at $500.

To summarize:
    Pioneer DV-563A - Universal Player - $180 (US)
    JBL S26II speakers- $160(US)per pair, 3 pair- $480 (US)
    Denon AVR-1804 -6.1 Receiver - $500 (US)

This would be a truly wonderful system for music and HT, but more for music unless you add a subwoofer. The speakers are fairly small too for convienience sake.

8. Rani Begley

Rani Begley Auditioning

Thanks for all your help.

9. Rani Begley

Rani Begley Auditioning

OK the amp if definitely in Australia but the dvd and speakers aren't. Do you guys have any other suggestions. Because that setup was really good value for money when I looked into it. Thanks again, I've really grown leaps and bounds in my home theatre knowledge since I have posted this thread. You guys are really helpful.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rani,

John’s suggested a nice entry-level home theater system. However, if your friend truly is looking for a CD-based music system and is not interested in home theater, you’ll get better equipment for the money by sticking with a regular stereo system.

It’s getting pretty hard to find good mid-fi stereo equipment anymore (either receivers or integrated amps), but Yamaha, Denon, Rotel, NAD and Onkyo still make a few models. With a little research you might find a few other brands.

Using the “budget 50% for speakers” rule, sticking with stereo would give you almost $600 for a pair of speakers – double the price of a pair of the JBL’s that John recommended. However, considering that no one makes “flagship” stereo receivers and integrated amps these days, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to get it and the CD player for well under $600. Any money not spent on electronics could be rolled over to fatten the speaker fund.

As far as what speakers to recommend, IMO there are just too many out there to say. Not to mention, I have no idea what is available in Australia. I suggest getting your electronics lined out, and then after you know how much you have to spend on speakers, you could hit up the better hi-fi shops for some listening sessions of speakers in your price range.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. John S

John S Producer

I was actually try'n to get them ready for both SACD and DVD-A with the system Wayne A.

I mean if your going to buy for music, you may as well be ready for the newest music technologies as well.

12. Rani Begley

Rani Begley Auditioning

Yer John, that DVD player you suggested was really great but I just couldn't find it in Oz unfortunately. The cheapest I could find for a DVD that offered SACD and DVD-A was a Pioneer DV-667A for US$350(approx). If I get that then there's little to spend on the speakers.

I'm a home theatre n00b and have constantly been looking from 7pm to 2am every night trying to look for gear. I just don't know what to look for. Basically my friend is very keen on a stereo and is trying not to sucum to a Sony all-in-one DVD package which he hasn't even auditioned and is looking at soley for the fact that he knows that every component is compatable with one another.

Another problem is he wants it loud (neighbors are deaf so they don't mind), but seeing that his room is about a 4m square or less then this really shouldn't be an issue.

He doesn't listen to too demanding music either (electronic, hip hop, rock). Basically he's after clarity and good lower base response.

This may help you guys out a bit. You guys don't know how helpful you are. You really know your thing. Sorry bout the long post.

13. John S

John S Producer

Like I say it is almost impossible to make suggestion based on Aussie availability and pricing.

Don't discount the SACD and DVD-A to much.

They are way cool, and a large improvement over traditional CD technology for music.

best of luck with it!!!

If you do buy a system, come on back and let us know what you got!!

14. Rani Begley

Rani Begley Auditioning

Yer, it seems like the best thing to do is just demo, demo, demo. I haven't gone to the hi-fi shop with my friend yet but obviously this is the best thing to do. Anyway thanks everyone for your suggestions and after a couple of weeks research and a purchase I'll get back to you guys about what we got. And maybe ask here about what cabling would be the go. Anyway your help has been greatly appreciated. You've all been fantastic. Thanks heaps.