What's new

Help with Memory upgrade (1 Viewer)

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I’m looking to upgrade my RAM and I could use some help and suggestions. The reason for the upgrade is that I want to get more into Photo editing and converting VHS tapes to DVD. I’ve also noticed that programs are running slower. A couple of months ago I had to reinstall windows. My computer was lighting fast until I installed Norton. :frowning: I’d like to try to get to that speed again.

I have a Gateway P4 1.8 with 256MB of RDR Ram (2x 128MB). I have two open memory slots. I’m not sure of the speed of the memory. Although once I spoke to Gateway about upgrade my RAM and they sent me this: Gateway Memory that should work with my PC

I’m not sure how much more RAM I need / want. I’ve heard that the difference between 256 and 512 is huge but the difference from 512 to 1 gig is negligible. Is this true?

I understand that the memory needs to be added in pairs. I have heard 4x 128MB would not be as quick as if I just had 2x 256MB installed. Is this true?

Within the next year or so I would like to upgrade my processor. Would it be beneficial to wait and upgrade my motherboard? The RDRAM is expensive. If I upgraded my other components I might be able to get a different kind of RAM for less money. Would this make sense or should I stick with what I have.

Thanks for all the responses.

Tom

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you're planning to upgrade your CPU soon I would just wait due to the prices of RDRAM. Any CPU you upgrade to will not use RDRAM. If you decide to wait on your CPU, I would purchase 2x256 modules to have a total of 768MB.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
There really isn't much that uses that RD ram rimms anymore. I feel that it wouldn't cost too much more to just swap the motherboard to a current model that supports DDR ram and buy some new DDR ram.

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick responses. If I did the full upgrade route I guess I would need a new Processor and motherboard. How difficult is it to do this? I'm not the most technically inclined person. I've added drives, and RAM in the past but nothing this eloborate.

Are there any compatibility issues that I would need to worry about?

Does anyone have some good links to places where I could purchase the necessary components.

If I just added 2x256 do I have to worry about what speed the memory is?

Thanks again,
Tom

SethH

Senior HTF Member
This may not even be possible. You mentioned that it's a Gateway. I don't think Gateways conform to any standard (such as ATX). So it may not be possible to find a motherboard to fit your case.

You do not have to worry about the speed of the RAM. Generally speaking, faster is better. If it's too fast, the computer will automatically slow it down to whatever it can handle. If it's too slow, I guess it will just run as fast as it can.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

It probably won't work but cases aren't very expensive. 512 megs of RDRAM would cost about 125-140+, you can buy a gig of pc 3200 DDR for around that for around that or a little more. Then when your ready to upgrade stick the cpu and ram on ebay and it should cover at least the cost of the case/power supply and a good motherboard, so the only cash out of your pocket would be for a cpu.

Building a pc isn't too hard, if you've done a hard drive and ram you should be able to handle it. Just take your time, its a great way to learn more about pcs.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, PC's from Gateway,Dell, etc. almost always use proprietary components and designs that don't make their cases very good for upgrades. Video editing is really going to choke that 1.8ghz P4, even with 1GB of memory. Even my 2.4ghz(which performance wise will match any 3ghz+ P4) AMD XP with a 1GB of RAM isn't the fastest when ripping DVD's and such. I'd either spend a little money for now and get 2 256MB chips to make your current PC "useable" for the time being and then/or go with a whole new system, preferably AMD 64-bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks