Help with matching Pre/Power Amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Torsten Zurek, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Torsten Zurek

Torsten Zurek Auditioning

hi there,
    i just bought a HK Sig 2.0 Pre and im now lookin for a matching Power amp. At first i thought the Sig 2.1 is the perfect match but those are very hard to find. Im know considering the citation 5.1 with an additional Pa 2000 or a Pa 5800 , but i really don't know if that will work fine.So my question is : should i go with the citation,
    the Pa 5800 or should i wait for a sig 2.1 to appear on ebay and buy this one since it was designed for the 2.0. Also , i thought maybe the Rotel 985 MK2, or the parasound 1205. But on those i don't know if they will fit with my HK.
    All advice is greatly appreciated
    TIA

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Theoretically any good amp should work fine for you. I'm using a non matching amp (Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080) and preamp (Outlaw Model 950) and they work fantastic together.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Personally, I'd be more concerned about which power amp would match up best with my speakers and listening tastes. My speakers are bright, so I went with Parasound, which is warm sounding. It's a beautiful piece of sonic synergy.

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I agree you need to consider the speakers first when buying an amp. Check out audiogon.com for some great lists of amps. I saw a B&K AV5000 for $500 a couple of days ago. That amp is pretty close to the PA 5800 (I've had and sold both). Both HK and B&K would be considered warm to neutral amps and would work best with detailed speakers like NHT.

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Torsten,

Power amps don't need to match the prepro brand. But these HK/Citation amps are great values. You should put a WTB Signature 2.1 amp here, and email the HK Outlet on ebay (they are auctioning a Citation 5.1 right now). Try not pay more than ~ $550 for a new/refurbed 2.1. If you can stretch to two Citation 5.1s, then those solid 8 amp channels should be more than you ever need.

Hi Chuck!