Help with making a wireless Starband network (Im clueless)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Loewen, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi!

I have starband internet on my PC. I want to network this PC with my laptop. Both have USB ports and the lapto also has available PC slots.

How do I do this?/ What do I need to buy? I want to try to keep this as CHEAP AS POSSIBLE.

Thanks!!

Gregg

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The cheapest "wireless" way is to simply buy two wireless cards (you don't need an Access Point). For the computer hooked into your Starband modem, purchase a wireless PCI card or a USB wireless adaptor (if you aren't comfortable installing internal cards). For your notebook purchase wireless PC card. Then simply do Internet Connection Sharing between the two, so that the notebook uses the desktop's connection. The desktop will of course always have to be on for the notebook to work. I did this for my DSL connection at home, and it works great.
    If your Starband connection is hooked into your desktop via an ethernet cable (as opposed to a PCI card or USB or something), then you can put in a wireless access point + router between it and your desktop, and then buy just a PC card for your notebook. This is more expensive, but doesn't need the desktop to be on for the connection to work, and allows for faster connections if you are planning on adding more computers later.
    I listed Linksys brand components above, which is what I have. There are also simular devices from D-link, Netgear, SMC, Asante and Intel which may vary in price a bit. While they are supposed to all work together, I'd probably keep to the same brand to be sure.

3. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    so less than $200?? Sounds simple...???

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I found it to be pretty simple, and a lot easier than running cable between two rooms across the whole house.

I've had no problems getting full speed from my notebook from anywhere within our house (tri-level 2400 sf) or outside on the porch.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhhh people at StarBand have been telling me that while you can use a hub/router for something like DSL/Cable Modem, this does not work with the StarBand unit.

The connection to the Sat does follow normal TCP/IP protocols (you can use PING/TELNET, etc.) But to do web-page surfing there are some large delays. To solve this, when your StarBand PC tries to surf, it uses a special software that tells the uplink site what page to get. Then the uplink site really downloads the entire page, compresses it up and sends the entire page to your PC as a single message. This is why you sit, sit, then suddenly the page appears.

The starband web site recommends you use WebProxy which is software designed to use the StarBand software and the main PC as the "router". It's something like $35 for 3 PC's. I thought there was a 30-trial version configured for StarBand on the StarBand website. Check the FAQ page.

I Have it, but I have not had the time to try and hook it up.

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Oh, that sucks.
    So nevermind about the router part, or about using the Internet Connection Sharing tool. You will have to use the wireless cards on both computers, and setup Winproxy on the desktop, and set the TCP/IP configuration manually as follows on any client computers you have.

7. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Ok, Am I missing something...??

1. I need to get that $35 software (not a problem)

2. I ordered the PCI card and teh PC card (both wireless) yesterday.

3. I need to buy a router too???

8. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

No, I think you have everything you need once you get that software.