Help with Linux

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Andrew_A_Paul, Jun 16, 2004.

1. I just installed Red Hat 9 ontop of windows (on a different hard drive, running a double boot). Now what do I do? I am totaly oblivious to anything that has to do with Linux. I would like to be able to install mozilla firefox for linux, but have now idea how to do that. I read the install instructions in the txt file in the mozilla file, but they mean nothing to me. Anyone know of a really good site (or have first hand knowledge) where i can get started? Thus far i have not been able to find anything that has helped me. Thanks!

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

www.linuxnewbie.org was always a good point of reference when I was trying to get things working.

I think I've pretty much given up on Linux as a desktop OS though. I always spend far more time trying to get things working than actually using it. I hate how it handles fonts and how they look and I just got fed up with everything being a ball-ache.

3. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

4. Just for future reference. Right now I have 2 hard drives, one that has windows on it and is partitioned, the other is a seperate hard drive that i put red hat on. I already had windows installed and added red hat to its own hard drive, its a double boot setup now and promts me when i start the computer what OS to start to. Now if i choose to in the future can i just format the hard drive that red hat is on and be fine? Or will i run into a problem when i start up the computer from then on. My only concern is because when i boot (where if you have the cdrom as the first boot device, it will ask "hit any key to boot from cd") this will start "grub" and then go to the linux screen and i can choose to boot to red hat or DOS (windows xp). Will my computer run as normal if i just format the red hat drive, or will i need to completely flush the system and install windows? Thanks, i always appreciate input from others.

5. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

I think it depends on where your boot files are. If they are on the root of C: and your linux is not on C: you may be all right just wiping out the other drive. You will probably have to manually remove the Linux boot files from the C: drive though.

6. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

I think it depends on where your boot files are. If they are on the root of C: and your linux is not on C: you may be all right just wiping out the other drive. You will probably have to manually remove the Linux boot files from the C: drive though.

7. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Welcome to Linux. I just started using it last year, and it's fun to learn (as long as you aren't under a deadline!)

The best book I found to get me started from the ground up was:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Since you got the OS for free, $20 for a book could be worthwhile investment. I also recommend the O'Reilly Linux books.

Since Red Hat 9 is discontinued, eventually you'll want to go to Fedora (now on version 2).

As for installing stuff, you'll have to learn about "RPM" packages, and the different ways to use them. You should get familiar with the command console (it's like the DOS command line). And are you using KDE or GNOME? The book I mentioned above uses KDE as an example, so you'll need to switch.

8. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Welcome to Linux. I just started using it last year, and it's fun to learn (as long as you aren't under a deadline!)

The best book I found to get me started from the ground up was:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Since you got the OS for free, $20 for a book could be worthwhile investment. I also recommend the O'Reilly Linux books.

Since Red Hat 9 is discontinued, eventually you'll want to go to Fedora (now on version 2).

As for installing stuff, you'll have to learn about "RPM" packages, and the different ways to use them. You should get familiar with the command console (it's like the DOS command line). And are you using KDE or GNOME? The book I mentioned above uses KDE as an example, so you'll need to switch.