Help with Limited Selection

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Don Scott, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

I need some opinions on these speakers. I want to upgrade my mains but I have a very limited selection. The only local brand available is Paradigm, the other few choices are from online at futureshop.ca, bestbuy.ca or Axiom. I'm looking for bookshelves, I've done searches for these on this site and others and have heard good things about them. I'd like opinions on the pro's & con's of any of these choices and whether they are comparable or in the same league. They all have the same size drivers except the monitor 3's but the prices vary as you can see. Is there a clear cut winner or a best bang for the buck? Any input will be greatly appreciated. They would be used 50/50 for movies & music. As for music I mainly listen to classic rock at low to moderate volumes, if this helps any.

BOOKSHELVES PRICE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS
    Athena AS-B2 $299.99
    Athena AS-C1 $229.99(each)
    JBL E30 $349.99
    Polk RTi6 $499.99
    Mini Monitor $460.00
    Monitor 3 $469.00
    Axiom M3ti $360.00

Bass is not a big deal since these would be combined with a sub crossed over at 100hz(the only choice I have on my Marantz SR5300).

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I haven't heard the Athenas, but of the rest, I'd say the clear winner on bang for the buck is the M3Ti. I compared the M3Ti to my Minis (v2) with a 6200 (which also means fixed 100Hz x-over) and the M3 had a much clearer midrange. Highs were similar, though the M3 was slightly brighter.

The Monitor 3 to me has always been the worst speaker in the Monitor line, likely due to the 8" driver. It just sounds sloppy and boomy to me.

If you haven't heard the Axioms, I'd compare the Minis to the E30s and the Athenas.

3. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. What do you think of the finish on the Axiom speakers? I heard a few comments on them looking cheap and the vinyl peeling. Also is there much difference in the sound of the M3's and the M22's, enough to justify the extra $$. Thanks!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wasn't impressed by the cabinets. The veneer is comparable to Paradigm in terms of appearance, but not quite as nice of a "fit and finish" on the ones I demoed.

The M22s will sound very similar, but they will play slightly louder with the same amount of power, thanks to the dual midbass arrangement. The drivers are smaller, but the two of them still move more air and will give you a more pronounced midrange. Between the M22 and the Minis, I'd go M22.

Surprisingly, the M3s blended quite well with my CC370 without any level adjustments. I just dropped them in and they sounded fine.