Help with Laser Disc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Apr 27, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Im considering purchasing a LD player and have no Idea what to look for. I have a AVR-3802 and want a player that will be compatible with it.(5.1) Also where is a good source for purchasing the disc themselves. Im really wanting The Star Wars trilogy. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Rodney, go to the Home Theater Basics area and read the LD section I wrote on page 2 of Vince's basics project. It's a long scroll down! You'll have some idea of what players to look for then and why. Best wishes!

3. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you want the original Star Wars trilogy they're not 5.1, don't worry about it. I recommend the Pioneer CLD-S104 (or CLD-S201) if you want LD for just three prologic movies.

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    There are a few Pioneer and Marantz models you can look for. But what you need is a LD with a AC-3 and digital output. With these two output you can do 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS. Although you might need an AC-3 demondulator and they are hot easy to get right now. I use a Marantz LV-520 Laserdisc Player with a Yamaha demodulator for Dolby Digital. I have about 60 LD movies and will buy more used LD. As far as wanting Star Wars trillogy on LD in Dolby Digital. One of the only places you might find it is on EBay. Other than that it has been out of press and is not maid anymore. Your only other alternative is to wait for Lucas to release it on DVD. And it is a good bet it will only be available in Dolby Digital. I hope this helps

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Dave,your player is a clone of the Elite CLD-59. Just thought you'd want to know. Best wishes!