What's new

Help with LARGE speaker settings (1 Viewer)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question: If I'm using Large speaker settings in DD/DTS does ALL of the Low frequency info go to the main R/L speakers if I'm NOT using a sub?

The reason I ask is that I am using a biamp MTM/Sub stereo speaker setup, and I'd prefer to leave it as it is, with the separate electronic crossover splitting the signals between the sub and MTM's. I would consider changing this arrangement if I'm missing out on any bass info that is not going to the subs via the "Large" setting.

Pre/precessor is a Sherwood AVP9080R, although I'm guessing that the specs are a Dolby function and should be implemented the same way in all approved processors.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Do you mean that if you set it up as 'Sub = NO', does it change the 5.1 to 5.0?

And does the .1 go into the large fronts...

You got me thinking.

Good question.

- CM

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Colin,

Exactly my question, much better way to put it.

Since I really do have subs (2 12 in Shivas), I 'd like it not to matter how the sound gets there. 5.0 Large ought to equal 5.1 med/small.

Anyone know for sure?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
bump!

somebody, please respond. i want to know the answer to this baffling question.

is it possible that the lowest freq / under 30 hz will never be passed to the 5.0 channels?

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
It depends on the processor. Without a sub, some send LFE to any speaker configured as "large" (Lexicon). Some send LFE to the left and right speakers. Some allegedly discard the LFE channel (this seems somewhat sensible - send a 115dB peak to a speaker which can't even handle the rated 105dB for a screen channel and you're likely to bottom it).

Vin

Supporting Actor
Since I really do have subs (2 12 in Shivas), I 'd like it not to matter how the sound gets there. 5.0 Large ought to equal 5.1 med/small.
With a sub setting of NO (5.0) the LFE will be routed to the mains if set to LARGE along with the deep bass from any other channels (center & surrounds) that are set to SMALL. If the mains are set to SMALL when the sub setting is NO, all LFE and deep bass from any channels set to SMALL will be lost.

With a sub setting of ON (5.1) the sub will play back the entire LFE and the deep bass for any speakers set to SMALL....some receivers/pre-pros will allow the deep bass from any channels that are set to SMALL to be shared by the sub and the mains.

Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks