Help with kittens

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Marshall Alsup, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hi,

I adopted two kittens recently, and its the first time I've had cats. I adopted two so they would have each other to play with while I'm gone during the day.

I have a problem though. I'm unsure how to litter box train them. Some friends told me to put a litter box in the bathroom (where they stay when I'm at work and at night) and they would just naturally start using it. I tried that and it worked! For a week they've been using it without any problems. Each day when I get home I clean it and all seemed well.

Well starting Friday (after having successfully used the litter box for a week w/o problems) they've started pooing on the floor in the bathroom. I cant figure out why they're doing it since they've been using the litter box so well all week. I've kept the litter box very clean so I'm not sure what the problem is. Also, I dont know if its only one of the kittys or both doing it because there is also poo in the litterbox.

The kittens are very young, perhaps between 6-8 weeks old. I haven't been able to catch them in the act, but at the same time I'm not sure what to do if I do catch them in the act.

During the evenings I let them out of the bathroom and allow them to roam around and play in the rest of my appartment. And all weekend I've been playing with them as well and although I think I'm watching them pretty well while here, Today I've found little piles in two places on the carpet [​IMG]

I dont know if they're peeing outside of the litterbox or not. I haven't seen any in the bathroom or the rest of the house yet.

I'm pretty frustrated and I'm not sure what to do, what do you guys think? At first I thought it was just a kitten thing but since they used the litter box so well all week i'm not sure why they suddenly stopped (at least partly).

Thanks,
    Marshall

2. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

You say you are cleaning the litter box, but not specifying if you are replacing the litter. If you aren't, it could be a buildup of the urine which is turning the cats off of using it. It could also be that the cats don't like sharing the box. Its hard to tell. You also said that that is where they stay when you aren't around - most pets don't like to lay near where they poop and pee so perhaps you might want to look at an alternative spot which gives them a bit more freedom/distance from the litter.

A thing to try is to have two or three boxes in various places throughout the house/apartment. Let the cats get used to them and gradually move them towards a common spot. That may help if the cats are finding it hard to get to the one box, while tiny.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

For 2 cats, I also have 2 litter boxes for them, plus I make sure there's at least 3"-4" deep of litter in each boxes at all times.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Pat,

How often do you replace the litter? I'm thinking of getting a cat and it never occured to me before.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Also, it sounds like you are locking the kitties up during the day? That could be annoying them, and causing them to do a little retaliation.

Also yes, the litter should be replaced from time to time.

However, as someone who has 4 cats, it sounds MORE to me like someone isn't feeling well.

You say you find little "piles". Uh, no easy way to ask this, but are they actually "piles" and not fairly-solid poops? They should be pretty solid and easy to pick up. If they are softer piles, you should take the kitties to the vet for a check up.

Sickness can be one of the issues here. Cats don't usually stop using litter boxes for no reason. However, cats hide illness VERY well.

Get 'em checked out. Sounds like they are pretty young, and should be getting their shots anyway, if they haven't already. [​IMG] Good luck!

PS - If you DO catch someone in the act, don't hit. Never hit 'em...it just causes them to fear your hand. Best bet is to squirt 'em with a squirt-gun. Best training tool EVER. [​IMG]

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

When our two felines were kittens we started with a single litter box. Adding a second box eliminated the occasional "accident". They do not mind sharing a food bowl, but they did not care to share a litter box, evidently. BTW, they are 16 years old now.

That only worked with one of our two cats. Our female doesn't mind water for some reason. She'll walk into a wet shower floor, and I even caught her "taking a shower" under a faucet that she turned on when she was younger (she made a big mess in our apartment kitchen). A squirt bottle was just another form of amusement for her. Luckily, she's pretty well behaved, and a stern voice is enough to get her to stop when she's getting into trouble.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

When the litter level gets too low, I just go buy some new litter and fill it back up. I use clumping litter (comes in a green/purple box I think).

(It's called ExquisiCat Scoop litter)

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I concur with Scott. A second litter box may do the trick. [​IMG]

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Whoever came up with the idea for clumping litter is a genius. We wouldn't buy anything else.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I sift the litter pan twice a day, and clean the box and change the litter once a week. Always maintain the litter box, and the cats will be happy -- if they're healthy. As noted, cats hide their feelings well and they don't alter their behavior without a reason. You should take them to their doctor.

11. Marshall Alsup

Hey everyone, thanks for the help! I thought I'd update you.

This may have been the problem. When this was happening Saturday I had just changed to a new litter box and it had taller sides than the old one and I put the kittens blanket they're using as a bed near it thinking they could use it to climb into the taller litter box. I think having their bed so close or the box change may have made them nervous. There hasn't been a single accident since Saturday night so I hope the problem is over for the time being.

I'll post some pics later tonight.

Thanks again for the help everyone,
    Marshall

12. Marshall Alsup

Hear is a link to a few pictures I've taken. They aren't the best pics because my camera doesn't do motion too well.

13. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

AWWWW... :b

Kittens are the cutest things ever when they're that little.

Rafael.

14. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Glad that worked out Marshall. Yeah, they don't like sleeping near their litter-box.

My god they are cuties! [​IMG]

Glad they are gonna get checked out. Wise to do that...although they sound like they are okay. [​IMG]

I'd still encourage you to not lock 'em up when you aren't around though. Once they grow up a little, they won't deal well with it.

Good luck! They are just sweet looking little buggers. [​IMG]

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Kittens are the most adorable things.

Wonder why no one has ever bred cats that stay small and kitten-like? We have miniature versions of dogs, why not cats?

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I still don't know how my cat was ever this flexible.

18. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Damn, Patrick! That kittie looks like (s)he should have one of those "I'm Bendable" stickers on him/her. [​IMG]

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yeah, that photo was taken over 10 years ago, he's definitely nowhere near that bendy anymore. One of my roommates at the time just happened to be playing with his camera and caught the corkscrew kitty pose.

20. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Um, just where is your roomates hand in that photo Patrick? [​IMG]