Help with JVC-9010 and DD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bilbrey, Jan 17, 2002.

1. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Anyone with experience on this unit? I just bought the RX-9010VBK this week and am having a little trouble with getting it to recognize a digital signal from my PS2 (no DVD player yet). I went into the setup on the PS2 to enable the digial out (I'm using the fiber optic digital cable). I hooked this into one of the fiber inputs on the receiver. I checked to make sure that there was "light" coming throught the cable, so I know that it's getting to the receiver from the PS2.
    Here's my problem/question: How do I tell the receiver that I want to use the fiber input rather than the digital coax for the DVD? It is set for the DVD to use the digital coax from the factory. I also tried moving the factory assigned digital inputs into another order (factory is 1[​IMG]VD, 2:CD, 3:TV, 4:MD/CDR). No help there. Any ideas? I'll also post in the beginner's area and the gaming hardware area.

2. Mark O'Donnell

This may sound stupid but did you use both the Digital and Analog connections when hooking up your PS2.

I did this with my DVD player and noticed the JVC reciever chose Analog by default.

3. John_Bilbrey

The PS2 is only hooked into the receiver with the digital cable. It is hooked into the TV using the composite audio/video. So, I'm assuming that the receiver is only seeing the digital. But, the TV IS hooked in using the analog on the back of the receiver. Do you think that could be the problem, even though it's assigned to a different source?

4. Mark O'Donnell

I do not think that this is a contributing factor for a TV connection.

Double check that you first changed the Digital Coaxial input to something other that DVD. This will free DVD as an option to use for the other digital connections.

Then select the audio input as Digital.

Let me know.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

The JVC has 3 optical digital inputs & 1 coaxial digital input. When shipped from the factory they are set to:

Digital 1 (DVD) a coaxial input

Digital 2 (CD) a optical input

Digital 3 (TV) a optical input

Digital 4 (CDR) a optical input

If you just pluged in the optical cable to the 1st (top) optical input it is already assigned to the CD input. If you want to changed it to the DVD source button look under Assigning the digital inputs in your instruction manual or select the DVD input & call up the menu system & you can change it there. Also I have found on some receivers even though you have assigned the inputs right, they don't seem to change unless you turn the receiver "OFF" & then back "ON" again. You might try that.

But again read the manual under How To Assign The Digital Inputs To The Correct Source.

What do you think of the JVC so far?

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Yep!!! I have an 888 and its exactly the same. You must program the inputs! Read the manual several times and do what it says. This is not a simple task. Trust me.
    However. JVC makes a durable product for sure. You will be happy with it. I just need to upgrade to discrete amps x 6 or 7. Let us know how it fills in the rear channels in stereo. Mine sucks in stereo for the rear channels. DTS and 5.1 are excellent! Stereo front only is outstanding.[​IMG]

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

John, I just looked up the manual on JVC'S website & what you have to do is set the COAXIAL DIGITAL INPUT to "CD" then the TOP Optical input will become the DVD digital input. But after you do this you have to set the dvd input from "analog" to "digital"

You have 3 choices for the digital input:

"DGTL AUTO" (automatically selects the right format)

"DGTL DTS" (selects DTS Digital surround sound)

"DGTL D.D." (selects Dolby Dgital surround sound)

You can do this by 1st pressing "DVD" as the source & then press the "MENU" button (not the dvd menu button) then set the input sound on the menu to read "DIGITAL" or from the remote just press the button that's labeled "ANALOG/DIGITAL"

(INPUT)

or use the button on the front of the receiver that says INPUT ANALOG/DIGITAL.

Hope this helps you out & I bought this receiver for my daughter for Xmas but she lives in another state so I have not listen to it but she loves it especially because she can plug her laptop computer into it & she is just thrilled about the RF remote control.

When you get a change I would like to see a post from you on what you think of the receiver & it's sound quality.

Hope this helps you out.

8. Mark O'Donnell

Bill Will has it exactly right.

Change the Digital Coaxial input to something other that DVD first.

Please let us know if you have it working yet.

I just got this reciever 2 weeks ago and have been enjoying the USB and multi room capabilities to the fullest.

Later.

9. John_Bilbrey

Finally! I got it working last night. After reading the manual (yet again) I switched the assignments so that the first optical was DVD. Doubled-checked the settings on the PS2, and fired up the system. Changed to Digital from Analog, a couple of flashes on the receiver didplay, and glorious DD!

One thing I did notice was that when I hooked the analog inputs back up for "regular" TV watching (as Friends was soon to be on and the wife won't miss that) the receiver defaults to analog DPL. Interesting.

Full review to come after I eat breakfast!