Help with Jackie Chan movies and picture quality...looking for the best ones

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis Gabriel Gerena, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Hi!

I am creating a big Jackie Chan collection but only want the best "looking" ones since there are seeral version of each film. I don't mind dubbing or anything else (except I want OAR of course no pan and scam). Other requirement is for it to be Region 1 since I can't play anything else right now or in the near future. Being 16:9 enhanced is also very very important but I guess most won't be. Thanks for the help guys.

Regards

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Then buy the R1s if you're OK with missing up to 30min of footage and listening to US vocal "talent". The mastering quality in the US is almost always superior to the Hong Kong Region 0 (free) discs, only the Hong Kong Legends discs from the UK are better

3. BrianMu

BrianMu Stunt Coordinator

Shanghai Noon and Rush Hour 1 & 2 are must haves. No spectacular transfers, but certainly respectable. Mr. Nice Guy isn't too shabby either, especially for $10 on average. Those 4 are the only Chan movies in my collection so far so I can't comment on the rest.

4. Jeff Kleist

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm in the same boat, and I'm opting to go with the region 1 versions. I don't care about missing footage or dubbing because I only watch the action scenes, anyway. As long as that doesn't get cut, I'm fine.

I recently picked up Rumble in the Bronx and Mr Nice Guy, and plan to get Operation Condor, First Strike, Supercop, and Legend of the Drunken Master. What really sucks is that there is no region 1 disc for the original Drunken Master.

6. Jeff Kleist

Columbia is releasing Drunken Master soon under their Destination Films lable. Anamorphic transfer, OSL and plenty of extras

7. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

You may want to check www.asiandvdguide.com and look up specific titles.
    There are sometimes multiple versions with various cuts of the movie.
    MostUS versions of Jackie Chan movies are cut, sometimes as much as 20 minutes.
    I would suggest checking hkflix.com and doing a search under Jackie Chan.
    There are some bad versions of his movies out there.
    The best versions are released in the UK by Hong Kong Legends, with the exception of DRUNKEN MASTER. These are generally Region 2 and in PAL format. The Columbia version of DRUNKEN MASTER will most likely be the best one to get.
    Avoid anything by Buena Vista with the exception of SUPERCOP (POLICE STORY III) which is actually the best version out there even though it is missing the original soundtrack.
    If you just want action scenes, don't waste your money buying a bunch of DVD's. Just get JACKIE CHAN'S MY STUNTS.
    Matt

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

9. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

If I was an American JC fan then I'd have to sort out a region free player, Hong Kong Legends UK (part of Playboy Group) are not just 'better' they are IMO (and taking into account the film elements, yes Fox do good work but they start with pristine elements) the best DVD production house in the World and I'm not forgetting Criterion (far too many non anamorphic releases to be taken seriously by me a least)

Just buy HKL version of Miracles and same film from much richer/in theory technically more competent CTHV Miracles and tell me you don't agree, HKL Miracles looks like it was filmed two years ago by Martin Scorsese as apposed to the bootleg quality version from CTHV, and I beleive same thing goes for the OUATIC series.

10. Matthew Brown

John -

You are absolutely correct about HKL. I bought a region free player for this very reason. I would hope that they revisit DRUNKEN MASTER so it includes the Cantonese track and be presented in its proper aspect ratio.

US companies could learn a lot from HKL.

Matt

11. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

For those who don't know, Hong Kong Legends are also working on spectacular, guns-blazing (pun intended) special editions of John Woo's The Killer and Bullet in the Head (as well as A Better Tomorrow 2 and Once a Thief).
    Can you say "camping overnight"? [​IMG]

12. Matthew Brown

I am considering having a deduction from my paycheck go straight to Hong Kong Legends. They have so many titles coming out that I have to get.

I am sure their DVD of the KILLER will be the best on the planet.

Matt

13. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

"I would hope that they revisit DRUNKEN MASTER so it includes the Cantonese track and be presented in its proper aspect ratio"

Just to clarify in case casual readers get the wrong impression, Matthew is right that their first two releases (DM & Snake in the Eagles Show) were cropped from 2:35 to 1:85 and only had Mandarin or English audio, but think of these two like Anchor Bay's original Halloween compared to the 2 disk second edition, since these two HKL have become the defacto Hong Kong film releasing studio for DVD's and always have original audio, an English dub (newly created if necessary for extra scenes) and no longer crop to 1:85 i.e. Battle Creek Brawl is 2:35 and immaculate and as ALWAYS with HKL anamorphic.

Buy their version of Drive (one of my top ten favourites, starring the soon to be megastar if there is any justice Mark Dacascos from last years Brotherhood of the Wolf) it's up there with Matrix for DVD quality with very long making of doc, interviews with everybody involved, fabulous commentary, deleted scenes, it's the 16 minute longer directors cut of the movie with original score and pic and sound are impecable.

14. Jeff Kleist

Destination is supposed to be a premium label. Asian cinema done properly with killer transfers and extras. I agree that many Columbia HK releases are terrible, but this should be great

15. Matthew Brown

John -

You are correct once again! I just watched the HKL version of DRIVE and was also very impressed.

I recently watched ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND with SAMMO HUNG and it looked better than many recent Hollywood movies!

RUSH HOUR 2 looked horrible in comparison.

To Columbia's credit, they do the best with what they have to work with. I do look forward to there Destination releases.

Matt

16. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Quote "Then buy the R1s if you're OK with missing up to 30min of footage and listening to US vocal "talent".

I think I already said that I DIDN'T CARE FOR THAT brother! Jesus, someone always has to come and try to lecture the poster. Dude if you are so kind as to buy me a region free dvd player then I will be happy to buy the best version available but I can't afford any gear right now and even buying movies is already stretching my budget so don't go around judging people without reason.

Now I should have been more specific in the movies I want.

I'll post the title and you help me with the version to buy:

Operation Condor 2 USA (Operation Condor 1 in reality)

Meal on Wheels (saw a version at Sam Goodies)

Police Story

ProjectA 1 & 2

and any other old and good Chan movies.

Regards

17. Raphael

Raphael Stunt Coordinator

Even though you don't care about dubbing, I would strongly recommend getting the Region 0 version of Project A (from Media Asia) rather than the Dimension Films Region 1 release. The rescoring of the movie soundtrack in the Region 1 is so bad the movie is nearly unwatchable. All the comic timing is thrown off. Not to mention neither one is anamorphic -- there is really no advantage to not getting the Region 0 version.

In my opinion.

18. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

19. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

20. Jeff Kleist

Criterion put out Supercop in its original form on LD. They subtitled the missing segments in OSL, but kept the dub where applicable (I think at Disney's insistence)