Help with info about JVC TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jed_A, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Jed_A

Jed_A Auditioning

I saw a TV at sams club yesterday, and went to research it online. I can't find any information at all about it other than the sams club site. It isn't even on JVC's website as far as I can tell.

55" JVC i-Art HD-ILA TV

The Model# is hd55g466

Any overall opinions on the TV would be great. It looked good (wasn't turned on), and the JVC HDTV's at other places picture looked good, but I can't find anything about this TV. It would be for home use HD, SD, DVD, PS2. Thanks,

Jed

2. John S

John S Producer

Doesn't Sam's have liberal return policy on these things? I mean you can't go to wrong if that is the case.

For a while my local Sam's had the veyr 1st gen of JVC IDLA's, I have heard from most everybody that they had some issues and reliabiility issues. Not sure though about your particular model number there though, just as you said searches turned up zero, zilch, nadda.

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

It would seem that Sam's Club is the ONLY outlet for this set. JVC, and any of their other sellers, only show 52, 56 and larger units. I'd suspect that this particular display is made specially for Sam's. What I didn't care for on Sam's site was the 90 day labor part of warranty service.

These are pretty nice TV's PQ-wise. The early models had some quality issues but they have been largely resolved...at least that's my understanding. Whether any shortcuts or compromises have been made at the factory for a single supplier would be anybodys guess.

Mort

4. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

I'm not seeing it on the website. Is it only available instore?

5. Rick Westfall

I went to Sams to take a look at it. Before I give the low down, JVC has other weird model numbers that are not on their website. Best Buy carries their DILA models, but it's not any of the models number listed under JVC's consumer products...

My take. Can't talk about PQ because ding dong Sams had a regular cable feed running into it. They ran HD into the Panny next to it and SD into the JVC. Genius.

I will say this. You are getting a 55" DILA TV with stand for $2699. I'm not sure if it comes with an HDTV tuner built in. If it doesn't and if the stand isn't needed (I don't need one) you need to consider other options, like the 52" model. It can be had, delivered to your door for $2200.

Just my thoughts.

Rick

6. Jed_A

Jed_A Auditioning

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind, but I'm going to keep looking. There are too many choices in this price range to get something so unknown.

7. John S

John S Producer

Plus: One of the local electronics retailers is now running somewhat negative ads about people who buy there displays from Sams Club and the like. [​IMG]

8. Rick Westfall

?? Haven't seen those ads

9. Rick Westfall

Info I received from JVC's customer service. It's not very helpful, but explains the lack of info on the web.

10. Jed_A

Jed_A Auditioning

Thanks for your time. Sunday night I ended up buying the 52" JVC. I am glad I went this route. I think anything larger would have dwarfed our room. They sure do look a lot bigger at home.

11. Rick Westfall

Where did you get the 52" from? How big is your room?

12. Jed_A

Jed_A Auditioning

Best Buy.

I'm not sure about the measurements of the room. We are sitting ~10 ft away. Dwarfed was an exaggeration. It was just a huge change from the 27" it replaced. I think it fits better than the 55" or 56" would have.

It looks awesome. I don't watch much sports, but I kept catching myself on a football game last night because it was in HD.