What's new

help with hum (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I've got a shiva, running of an adire 250 watt plate amp, and have been moving the sub around for better sound and noticed it's picked up a nasty hum, I've already got the amp plugged into a cheater plug, the hum goes away for the most part if I unplug the cable from the receiver, or if I turn the reciever off as well.
any ideas? do I have a problem with the reciever? it's not the best cable (about a 20 foot power acoustic) but the hum goes away when the deck is off so I don't think that's it.
IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
If you have a Tv on, try turning that off and see if the hum goes away.
Radiation from a CRT and induce noise into cables...tryng running it away from the TV as much as possible
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
WEIRD
it's a projection TV, and I think the sub was whackin out the convergence (couldn't find any other possability) so I moved it to a corner away from the tv to try and fix that.
got the hum to go away by switching the sub cable around, end from the sub into the deck and the end from the deck into the sub?? never woulda thought.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Yup, tried it in every outlet in the room (there's at least 2 different circuits in the room) and it didn't help
frown.gif

Julian Data

Second Unit
How do you have the amp connected to the receiver? Speaker or line level?
If it's the latter, is your cable properly shielded?
Have you tried this.. connecting the receiver to another outlet and keep the amp connected to where you originally had it?
------------------

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's connected with a line level, 20 foot power acoustic cable, not the best cable, but not the worst by any means.
Can't really move the reciever, but I think I'll get a cheater plug and try that, I know there's a nasty ground loop in this place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks