help with hot home theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rob Michaw, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

May 2, 2000
    My room is in the basement. I have it sealed and insulated very well (sound insulation). I have also installed a solid core door. I have one vent leading into the room, and no return. The room is 19x12. When I have a few people in the room for more than an hour, it gets a little stuffy.

The other side of my HT is the open area in the furnace room. I haev complete access to return ducts etc. What should I do to cool the room down? I am most concerned about room temperature and sound leakage. My house has two furnaces (one for up and one for main floor). If I add a return and link it to my ducting, will I not be creating a big whole for sound spillage upstairs? Could I just cut a hole in the wall and vent into the open basement? Would that transmit sound upstairs worse than hooking into the ductwork?

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

Sep 28, 2003
    you definatly need an air return, as for sound why not just into the furnace room? that room's already loud
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    I think you’ve already figured it out, Rob but here’s your problem:
    Why should it? You already have an intake vent. Any evidence it’s transferring sound throughout the house?

Just use some of that flexible A/C tubing that has internal fiberglass built in. You could make it a little too long – that would mean extra bends that would help absorb anddeaden any sound waves that might escape the room.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt