Help with home theater decision

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jason Ole, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Jason Ole

Jason Ole Extra

I currently have for my set-up:

Yamaha RX-V390 receiver
    Pioneer (cheapies) center and rears
    Fisher fronts
    JBL PB12 subwoofer

My dilemma is my center blew, and I want to purchase new speakers. Should I find a 5 speaker package or do I go out and buy a HT package that includes a receiver. But I don't need the sub cause the JBL is only a couple months old. The receiver I have is old enough to not have any S-video or better input/outputs, and also no sub pre-out, so I could use a newer one. Also I want to try to stay below $500. I have been looking at the Fluance SX-HTB 5 speaker package, any other ideas?

Thanks is advance.
    Ole

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...tough call.

is your receiver dd/dts? if so, and you don't need s-video or better connections, then don't worry about it.

you should definitely consider getting similar speakers, if only for the timbre-matching benefits. if you like your sub, keep it. you can always build your speakers slowly - getting center, then mains, then rears.

i personally would not buy a htb. imo, they're a good value, but you lose when it comes to the speakers.

i used to say the kenwood htb's had good speakers, but i've decided that for just a little bit more, you can buy a stand-alone receiver (~180), then add a nice speaker (~400) that will outperform any htb.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Jason.

FYI, the Basics area is for asking general questions about home-theater concepts and equipment. For information about specific models and such, please post your queries in the area dealing with the type of equipment involved.

And you need a new receiver.

Good luck.

4. Jason Ole

Jason Ole Extra

Ted,
    no, my receiver is only Pro Logic. You approximate $180 for a receiver, which do you recommend? Also, what speakers do you favor?

Jack,
    My apologies.

5. John S

John S Producer