What's new

help with HDTV selection (1 Viewer)

Mightymilk

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Mundt
after waiting for a long time, i'm ready to take the dive into an HDTV set. i've had a 27" Sony Trinitron SD w/ enhanced 16:9 mode for quite a few years now, and i've really been waiting for at least 1080P before i would consider buying an HD set. honestly the enhanced 16:9 is so crisp and clear even to this day, it's hard to find a good TV set that rivals the sharpness besides Sony's HD tube TVs.

so basically, i'm looking for a 1080P compatible set, with a quality picture, and not a gigantic size. i'm not sure what the min size is for 1080P TVs, but i was hoping i could get mine below at least 42" and hopefully smaller then that. as far as what my pref is, sharpness is by far #1 i cannot stand looking at pixelated pictures (i have 20/10 vision this may be why). black levels and colors come in 2nd, but are still important.

i'm not really partial to any type of television, although i've never seen a DLP that was sharp enough to my liking. all suggestions from LCD, Plasma, Rear Projection or even Tube TVs are all welcome. like anyone i'm looking for a great deal, good TV for a good price.

thanks for reading.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I'll jump in here with a suggestion. I just purchased a 55" SXRD Sony and have been very pleased. I was ready to take it back after only a few days, but my eyes finally adjusted to the set within a week.

Good luck with your shopping.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Marty, I ordered the 60" A-2000 today, should arrive Thursday, got a smoking deal at Sears. IMHO 1080p has very little to no advantage whatsoever at screen sizes much under 50" unless one sits within 6 feet or so of the screen.

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
I have the 2007 Mitsubishi WD-57732 DLP television, and it's main comparison were Plasma TV's. Before I bought it, I knew tubes were out of the question (because I needed a bigger screen.) I looked at LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCOS, and whatever else was under the rainbow. I was never a fan of DLP until I saw the 57732. But, when I did, I compared it to everything else that was on the market. It took about a month and a half to decide, but I'm glad with my purchase.

When I made the buy, it's competing format was plasma.
But, it's a 57" tv..... it might be too large for what you are asking.

Since you are looking for about a 42" tv... your best options are probably LCD or Plasma. The price point for 42" inchers are in the sweet spot recently, and I would personally go with plasma as they look more CRT like (in terms of color levels, brightness, general picture quality) (but it would look better than a SD tube).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Congratulations on your purchase. I think you will enjoy the HD broadcasts with this set.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

I think im going to get the same TV man.

Where did you get yours and how much did you pay? I found it online for 2199. Not sure it if i can get cheaper.

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
2199 isn't bad at all... I got mine at HHGregg from a buddy that works there and I got it for 1950... so you probably wont get too much more off looking around more..

I'd also reccomend a surge protector with a UPS (battery backup). The battery kicks in when the voltage is below a certain level and helps save the bulb during brownouts. (when line voltage is low, the TV tries to suck more amps to make up for the loss in voltage, and the bulb is more sensitive to amperage pulls...)

It's also kinda neat that the TV has a built in line filter :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks