Help with HDTV options

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ben Kreutzberg, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Ben Kreutzberg

Ben Kreutzberg Auditioning

I've done some preliminary research on a new HDTV, and I've pretty much narrowed my choice to the following 2 (I would love to post the links, but I'm not allowed to yet--both can be viewed at Bestbuy's website, though I probably won't by this set there):

Sony 30" FD Trinitron WEGA Hi-Scan 16:9 HD-Ready Flat-Tube TV with HDMI Interface - Silver
    Model: KV30HS420

Westinghouse 32" Widescreen HD-Ready Flat-Panel LCD TV with DVI and PC Inputs
    Model: LTV-32W1

Pricegrabber shows the Westinghouse at about $200 more with shipping, which I am willing to pay. Initially it would appear that the Westinghouse is the way to go--it has a larger screen, weighs only 40 pounds, and natively supports 720p. I would go for it, but I'm concerned about LCDs in general.

This TV will mostly be used for gaming, with some DVDs and TV thrown in. The Westinghouse does have a very good refresh rate for an LCD(8ms), but I'm still concerned about ghosting with fast-moving objects. What's the equivilent refresh rate for a CRT like the Sony? What would you do?

Thanks,

--Ben

2. John S

John S Producer

$200? I'd have to try the new technology myself.

I don't than many if anybody here as any exerience with that particular westinghouse display, so you'd be the gunie pig on it so to speak.

But we would love to have a full report on it if that is the way you go.

I don't think ghosting is going to be your issue on it, shadow detail and some macroblocking are the way more common LCD direct view complaints, niether of which are a factor with good ol CRT. I find gamming to be slight crsiper on digital panels in general though, well not all games but most games, even on svideo ps2 stuff. The scaler in the panel has a lot to do with how good svideo stuff looks as far as games go also. Which many of the more bargain displays have fairly lower end scalers in them.

If the scaler is decent enough, the cool thing is that all your sources will be scaled to 720p to display on the panel, unless it's a native x768 odd one as some are, if so they are scales to whateverX768.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you are gaming a lot, which you say you will do, avoid CRTs because you can burn-in and usually people like to game at higher brightness levels than for movies, which again compounds wear risk.

LCD however, is relatively slow with it's panel response, I recommend finding somewhere where you can game on a PC with an LCD monitor or other LCD display and see what you think. DLP will be faster in this respect.

4. Ben Kreutzberg

Ben Kreutzberg Auditioning

Thanks for your suggestions. I actually have an LCD monitor for the PC I'm typing this on--It's a few years old and ghosts quite badly. I'm sure it doesn't have anywhere near the response rate of an LCD, certainly not the 8ms of the one I'm considering. Any thoughts on how fast a response rate I need with an LCD to be comparable to a CRT?

5. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I am thinking about picking up this Westinghouse TV... Anyone end up getting one?

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Best Buy has that Westinghouse for $899.99 this week (which is only $50 more than I paid for the 27" version of this set) with free shipping for on-line orders.

Regards,

Joe

7. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

8. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. I think I will be getting one tonight for $899 with the 10 percent off coupon (should be $1K or a little under, tax and service plan included).

If anyone wants to know what I think of it, I can post, but I'm not exactly an LCD expert.