What's new

Help with HDTV choice..Please (1 Viewer)

Roger Lesher

Auditioning
I am looking at a couple of HDTV’s and would like to know what a few knowable people out there might think. I have an entertainment center that I can only fit a Mits 46809 in without modifications, and can get one on sale now for 2k. The 46” only comes in the Platinum line, which is entry level. I thought the picture it had in the store was not as good as some others I saw there. Can I get a good picture out of this when I get it home and set up the way it should be? I can also get a 53” Pioneer Elite pro 510 for $3,500 (last years model off the floor). I like the picture on the elite a lot more than the Mits and can make it fit if I buy a new light bar for my entertainment center. Should I be concerned about it having been a floor model? Is this a good price? I was hoping that the firewire issue would be addressed in this years new models, but from what I have heard it isn’t going to be. Would like to hear any thoughts anyone might have on this too!

The MSR of the PRO-510HD was $6300.00 so the savings with the floor model would be $2800.00. Pioneer did not increase the price on the new PRO-520HD which has a MSR of $6300.00.

The PRO-510HD floor model should still have the full 2 year warranty, so that's good news. What is the manufacture date of the PRO-510HD, and how long has it been a floor model?

You should be aware that the 510, 610, and 710 lock into the full aspect ratio when using a progressive scan DVD player connected using the component inputs. Anamorphic DVD's look great on the sets, same is ture of HD using either the RGB or component inputs.

The new 520, 620 and 720 now offer the ability to change the aspect ratio's while using a progressive DVD player or line doubler.

The picture quality on the Pioneer sets are really excellent, so my answer would be talk with the dealer and see if the price includes deliverly and a complete set-up of the set.

It's your decision, but personally I like the Pioneer.

Roger Lesher

Auditioning
I don't know a lot about hdtv. Could you pelase explaing exactly why you thought I should know that the 510, 610, and 710 lock into the full aspect ratio when using a progressive scan DVD player connected using the component inputs. Will this somehow limit me?

DennisHP

Second Unit
I think the general consensus in to NOT buy any floor model. You don't know how long it's been in torch mode and how many people/kids have played with the settings. For 2 grand you can get a Toshiba 50". If you would like, you can come to my house and look at my 50H81 to get an idea of how they look in a home as opposed to a store. email me if interested.

The locking into the full aspect ratio while using a progressive scan DVD player with the 510, 610 and 710 can be problematic if the DVD player does not have the ability to do scaling.

This would only be a problem with non-anamorphic DVD's the image would appear distorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks