What's new

help with hanging the screen (1 Viewer)

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Hello,

Attached, please see my room in progress and the only spot I have to hang the screen. I was really hoping for at least a 100" screen but am not sure I have the space given the dimensions of the Elite 100" 16:9 I was looking at. I would love to hear others thoughts on the best size to use and the best spot to hang it.

Also, I noticed that walmart is selling the Elite 100" electric for $50 cheaper than Amazon. That could also make it easier to return if needed.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Eddie

Attachments

• attic.png
    attic.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 61

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Recommended screen size is based on seating distance and not what you can fit in your space. According to your image I see no options on the spot, am I missing something?Sounds like a good deal from walmart, do they offer an extended warranty for cheap? If its a good deal an extended warranty might not be a bad idea for such a cheap screen...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
A 100" diagonal screen is 49" X 87" and I see no reason why it wouldn't fit(mounted at the proper height, of course).Like Type A said though, the size depends on your seating distance from screen.

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
We will have one couch parrallel to the movie that will sit roughly 15' from the screen. Another will be perpendicular to the screen running along a side wall.

Jim, what is the proper height? Since the flat part of my ceiling is only 51", if I wanted to mount it flush with the ceiling, I'd need to cut into the drywall on each end. I could, however, hang it against the wall but then it would run right across the top of the window (which might not matter). I'm would then need to find a new spot to plug it in.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why are you even mounting it that high?If you leave 24 inches at the bottom...leaving 49 as the height...73 inches off the floor...how wide is it there? Then it is a matter of a bit of math about how wide you can go with the marginal increase in height...especially if you do 2.40 instead of 16:9.

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Sam,

I do have space if I start from the floor. My only concern is I am then mounting the projector across the window. That might not matter. I will most likely build some sort of cornace to hide it.

Would 2.40 be in screen size? I've just seen the screens as 16:9, 4:3 or 16:10.

Insulation guys come tomorrow and drywall next week...we are getting there.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The window is irrelevant. Light is light.

I assume you are mounting the projector "above" the 83" mark...regardless of screen size. At 15' of distance, if you get an Epson 8350, it has a crap-ton of lens shift. You could darn near cut a hole in the ceiling itself, mount it outside the roof and still shine on your screen...at 15 feet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, a 110" 2.40 screen is only 42" tall. Add in the 24" you get 66".

How wide is it at 66" off the floor?

I'm willing to be a lot wider than 101".

So, you'd mount the 110" 2.40 and you would still be greater than 24" off the floor. In my opinion...24" is the bottom threshold of your screen. Other people will say 30"...some even 36". I tend to aim for the center of the screen...being the center of the wall.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A 110" 16:9, at 24" off the floor, would be 78" off the floor. It would also be 96 wide. You don't have room for that.

So, the question...

Movies or sports?

If movies, predominantly, I'd go 2.40. But when you shoot 16:9, you'll have sidebars...and the screen becomes roughly 86"-ish(I think...I already closed out the calculator)

So...in a nutshell...

110" 2.40 with 86" 16:9...or 100" 16:9 with...94" 2.40(unless my brain is tired...)

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Sam,

Thanks for all the great info. Yes, the projector will be above the 83" mark as it will be mounted to the ceiling in the back of the room.

The only reason I mention the window is I'll have to mount the screen across the window. The screen will be right in front of the window going across the top. You can see my mockup in the image below. I just want to make sure it looks ok when the screen is rolled up as well. Since I won't be hanging it from the ceiling, it will be mounted to the wall and again, going right across the window.

I haven't seen any 2.40 screens.

The projector will most likely be used for tv, wii/ps3 and movies.

Thanks again!
Eddie

Attachments

• attic_2.jpg
    attic_2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 56

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It doesn't matter if "it looks good rolled up"...cause that is where you have to put it, so aesthetics are meaningless.

I would limo tint the window anyway. Or remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks