What's new

Help with ground loop from satellite coax (1 Viewer)

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
I am having the same problem with my Rotel RMB-1095 and to a lesser extent my RB-1090. The cause seems obvious: disconnect the coax cable from the wall and the noise goes away entirely.

So now the question: How do I fix this? The coax cable is to my satellite dish so I can't have anything that messes up the voltage. Are there simple in-line products that can help me? If not, how does one ground the dish outside?

I really love this equipment and am anxious to squash this little bug.

David

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A “ground loop” indicates there are two or more paths to ground. The source of your problem is most likely that the RF gounding block is going to ground near the dish. Send the ground wire to the house electrical ground stake and the problem should disappear.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Nick.Y

Auditioning
I had a similar issue with my Parasound Amp.

What I did was run the satellite cable from the wall to my Surge Protector and from the Surge Protector to the Satellite Receiver. Of course your Surge has to have the Coax line protection.

This seems to have fixed the the problem. It's been working fine for 4 months now.

Nick

Alex F.

Second Unit
I once had the same problem. Unfortunately, none of the usual fixes that work for cable TV had sufficient bandwidth for satellite. Then I learned that a Toslink's fiber-optic connection inherently avoids audio ground loops.

A Toslink cable between your satellite box and whatever it is connected to (receiver or pre-pro) should eliminate the hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks