Help with Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob N, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Ok, I don't have this game... yet. My only experience with it is the demo they have running at Best Buy. I like the looks of it but when playing I have a very difficult time controling the car I'm using (even in easy mode). I can't break smoothly and any moderate amount of turning sends me spinning out off the track and into a wall. I'm not a hard core racing gamer and after 3 mintues of this I get frustrated and stop playing. So my questin is... Is this game really that hard to play? Are there things one can do to make controlling the car easier or does it take 1000 hours of practice to get it right? I don't mind not winning a race but I'd at least like to stay on the track.

2. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Kind of hard to answer if all you were doing was playing a demo at an electronics store. It shouldn't be that hard to stay on the road, though. What type of vehicle were you using? RWD vehicles with high HP will spin out pretty easy on some of those courses. If you get the game and work your way up you'll get better over time. Plus, once you get some cash and start modifying the vehicles, you can change things like braking and performance issues.

If you own the game, you'll be starting out with a pretty weak vehicle that is very easy to keep on the road. I started with the PT Cruiser, added some HP mods., one a lot of short races to build up the bank account and moved onto the Vipers and Corvettes after that.

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Rob,

Ive been following Gran Tourismo since the first one and I thinks its taken me all three games to become an excellent driver. Although I still havent gotten thru GT3 all the way [98%]. In my opinion, GT3# is an unbelievable game. As far as controling the cars, yes you need to practice on many different cars. Each car has its own personality. There are over 100 cars and in the end you have to drive "indy" cars. Sso if you are wanting a game that will piss you off. this is it. You need to pass licences to be able to get to the next level of races. And in the tests, if you hit a wall or go off the track, you fail. Plus you have to beat their alloted time. Even though this sounds too hard, it helps you learn how each car drives. I love this game but also love a good chalenge. If you just want a fun racing game, look elsewhere, GT3 is more of a driving simulator. But you should rent the game maybe for a week and spend some time getting used to the controls before you decide to purchase.

Also, if you dont want to drop the $50 for GT3, you might consider getting GT2 or GT1. The graphics wont be the same, but they are still great games.

Geno

4. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

GT3 is different than most car racing games. It's pretty realistc. You've gotta slow down for corners (As Jackie Stewart said: in slow, out fast is better than in fast and out dead), you've gotta lean to accelerate and brake smoothly (the controls are touch-sensitive: press down very hard on the accelerator and you'll spin your tires...), and learning the correct line around the tracks is crucial.

You simply can't take a 90-degree corner at 200mph in the game.

Of all the driving games I've played, GT3 A Spec is the most challenging, and the most fun. Stick with it.

-Erik

5. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Hear, hear! Plus, a steering wheel helps enourmously.

6. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

This may sound stupid... but the first time I played it I did not know the controls... and instead of using the brake, I was using the handbrake.

My driving in those first few games, sounds very like yours.

I don't own the game or a ps2, so I don't know the controls... but you might want to check that you were using the correct controls...

hope it helps,

--kyle

7. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

Pretty much like everyone else has said. Practice, practice. It is a LOT like driving a real car. GT3 is NOT an arcade racer. (Don't let that arcade mode fool you.) Even in the arcade mode as you get further in the game you will need to learn how to control your car on wet pavement. And even further into the game you will need to learn how to sit in your opponent's draft to gain speed and blow by him just like the pros do. Lets not even get into the Rally Mode, that is another set of skills in itself. Be prepared to sit down and spend many weeks with GT3. And, yes a steering wheel helps a great deal.