What's new

Help with frequency settings. (1 Viewer)

VovchanchiN

Auditioning
I read through the fax but I havent really found anything on setting up speaker frequency. Forgive me if I missed it.

I have a Sony StR-DE725 Dolby Digital receiver. I am running some midrange Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch cnter channel through it.

The receiver gives me a frequenccy option of 500hz-5khz for the front mids and 100hz-1khz for front bass. On the Klipsch website most of their bookshelfs have a frequency response of 52Hz-20kHz±3dB. If I have a 12" Klipsch sub, what should I set my front hz to?

I only use my system for watching DVD's.

Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hello and welcome to HTF.

Most DD receivers only allow you to define your speakers as LARGE or SMALL. If a speaker is defined as SMALL, the receiver will skip sending frequencies below about 100 hz to it. (It will route these sounds to your external sub).

Since your speakers dont go down to 20 hz, you should define them as SMALL. If the receiver lets you set the individual lower-limit, I'd set them to 100 hz. (This circuit is called the "Crossover" circuit by the way).

This will off-load the low-frequency duty to your external sub.

Later, you may be able to play with the crossover to get the speakers and sub to blend a bit better, but the 100 hz setting is what many systems are set to.

VovchanchiN

Auditioning
Great, I'll take your advice!

I set all of the bass settings to 100hz and I'll mess with the mids settings to get the desired effect.

Thanks agian.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks