Help with first subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

ok i got what seems to be a great deal at circuit city. It is the Aiwa TS-W150, it has a 10" woofer @150 watts on sale for $134.99. It got positive reviews from their website so I got it.(4.7/5 out of 20 reviews) First, since i have radioshack linaneum tweeter bookshelves and a jbl s-center, should i set all of those to small and let the sub take care of the rest(the sub. only goes down to 50hz)?

Next, where is the best place to place a subwoofer. i have a small 12 by 9 apt. bedroom to work with, and it has a lot of funny slants in indents. The furthest away i can get from my set up is 7 ft. i heard it is best to put it agaisnt a wall for the best results and reflection.

Third, i have a sony str-de875 and have it hooked up through the out/in cable, is reverse phase any different from forward b/c when i tried i didn't notice any. I have the lfe at 0, sub. level a +6 and volume at max i have a dreamcast and the sub remains "quiet" during pro-logic mode when i watch tv or play games. It does emit a pretty good test tone, and works well in dd so far. I just want to hear it louf for all dsp's. Or it may have to do with the turnover rate, which i have at 60, but i also can choose from 100 and 150, what is optimal based on my setup. Whoever takes time to answer these you have my thanks.

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Here is my opinion on subs. I've had the same Onkyo 100 watt subs for around six years. It should only be heard when appropriate (when there is some explosion etc), it should make voices deep etc. As for placement I have mine in a corner next to a wall next to the rest of the setup and it seems to work for me.

-Andre F

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Damien. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Lets see...

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

ok i cleaned out my room and found a perpendicular wall space in the lower-left corner(kept the crossover a 60). next i set the speakers to small, kept the sub level a +6 at normal phase. Popped in my Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition...i got to the scene when Arnold unloads his shotgun on the t-1000 and boom, my room was shaking. The sub kept a great sound when the LFE was at phase 1, so this is a keeper now, i appreciate the help in setting it up

I still wanted to hear the sub when i watched sports or played dreamcast. but pro logic doesn't cut itThe sub is not very active at all during prologic, so i tried Automatic Format Decoding and it omitted the center and kept the l/r fronts and sw. I think this is called "normal surrond". I prefer this because it does sound a little like 2ch. stereo, and the sub is much louder than pro-logic, but i don't like that it takes away my center