What's new

Help with first diy sub (2 Viewers)

Ben_hunt

Auditioning
Help!!

i have just started to build my first diy sub and i am having a problem getting power to the amp. (THIS IS NOT A HIGH DOLLAR JOB) i am using a bridged Avalanche 280W (A-280) car amp and using a 12v ac/dc adapter. i cannot get power to the apm and the power contacts have been scratched so that there is no way to tell what is ground and what is positive negative..

do i need to use an adapter that has a ground?
do i need to use a higher rated adapter?

any help would be appreicated

ben

Jonathan M

Second Unit
First off, you'll need a fairly decent AC/DC adapter. Assuming that the 280W is real (Which it probably isn't!!) you'll need a 12V power pack capable of around 24 Amps or so. This is one VERY large power pack.
I would suggest a cheaper alternative is just to purchase an old receiver from a garage sale for say $20 or so.

You just need a power pack that gives a +12V signal, and a GND (0V) signal - nothing else.

As for the amp contacts, is one of them connected in anyway to the chassis? If so, it'll be the ground. Popping the amp open should be enough to see. Any fuse will be on the +12V line.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Agreed. It would actually be cheaper to just buy an amplifier or receiver designed for use in a 110V AC circuit than it would be to find an adequate AC/DC converter.

Did you know you can get a 100 watt per channel stereo receiver new at Best Buy for like $80. Then there's the wonderful deal on plate amps at Parts express. $100 for 120 watts. $120 for 250 watts. Any one of these would be infinitely better in the long run than doing the AC/DC converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks