What's new

help: with finding a laser disc player (1 Viewer)

GlenRF

Agent
I am trying to find a Laser disc player for cheap does anyone know of any sites that sell refurbished or remanufactured players. and can anyone tell me what a good one will be.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
This forum is one of the better places to buy one
Read the HT basics section on LD players first
Try to find one local, they tend not to travel very well.
If you are around SF, let me know. I have a extra one but I wont ship. The drawer always gets screwed up (for me at least)

Jim J

Second Unit
I'm in NJ. I have one as well Pioneer CLD-702 that I've been sitting on (well, not literally)

I have been 50/50 with shipping. The very 1st player I bought from e-bay came damaged. I found another one that was fine (both CLD-M301). Later I bought 2 from a friend (hence the extra that I still have). They came fine.

Then I sold the good M301 on ebay, that one got damaged in shipping.

Anyway, let us know your location and budget, and if you are willing to risk shipping.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to get a working basic LD player for about USD 100.

Generally you should not buy an older player without "digital sound" channels.

1. Some disks have no analog sound tracks, or different material on the analog and digital sound tracks, and an analog sound only player might give no audio.

2. Some older players without digital sound may have interference in the picture, for example short horizontal momentary quick flashing lines (typically one scan line high and one to two inches long)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
BTW
a good portion of the people buying LDs do so for the star wars disc (at least it seems)
If you want AC3 you need a RF demodulator if your preamp/xcvr doesn't have it built in.
for dts lds you just need a digital out

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:) I second that notion Dennis! Glen, what's a cheap Laserdisc player to you? The definition of cheap is a purr-dy subjective. I'll check back later, outra vez!:)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of any NTSC discs that have no analog sound tracks. Content may be different (they're often used for commentaries, as an example) than the digital tracks (which aren't required and aren't on discs produced in the early 80's and earlier), but the analog tracks must be there (PAL discs, I believe, do lack the analog tracks). Anyone have an example of an NTSC disc without an analog track?

Rachael B's laser disc primer is a must-read.

As for a site selling refurbished or remanufactured players - I am simply not aware of any.

If you're willing to spend some bucks - over $1000 to maybe $3500 - I know of at least one extremely reliable source in Japan that can find an LD-S9 or LD-X9 for you, and maybe some other machines. These are a couple of the last and best players ever made (I own the LD-S9 as does Rachael, who also owns the X9). Of course, these blow your concept of cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks