Help With DVE

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Stuart Moss, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Stuart Moss

Stuart Moss Auditioning

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me with Digital Video Essentials, basically I can run the tests but I dont know what i am looking for and what the desired effect should be on each test. The program just runs the tests i dont know if i should be adjusting or not. I dont know when to use the colour filters or anything the little booklet just gives you an index breakdown not what each test involves or how it should look once it has been calibrated properly or what you are aiming to achieve with each test. Can someone please help, they said the disc is simple to use so i guess that makes me a bit dim huh?

2. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

avia has a good instructional part, does dve have the same? basically, you should have a white level test, and you would set the contrast until you can see every shade of white individually, or until one shade (the brightest) just disappears. Then the black level test, you would adjust the brightness until the blackest shade just disappears. In the color test, depending on what color test you are doing, you would look through the color filter and adjust the color until everything is the same shade, repeat with all the colors. Sharpness is adjusted on a screen with a bunch of vertical lines of varying thickness until the edges are clear, but not overdone. Keep in mind that most of the settings are dependant on the others, so you will have to go back a few times and tweak things after making adjustments eslewhere.

I haven't used dve, but avia has good instructions, and most thx-certified disks have a thx optimizer in the options or setup menu that has a pretty good decription of all the tests involved. After calibration, your display will look much, much better.

Hope this helps, most of the tests should be very similar between any cal disk.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes DVE does have some instructional videos, but as I'm somewhat beyond them I've never actually watched them , so I don't know what they say. I think Avia's are pretty decent.

Stuart: what you will actually look for will vary depending on the type of display you have. Because they work in different ways, you are looking for different behaviors. What type of display do you have? This makes it easier, because I don't want to hunt for info and type up something for a display type that isn't yours!

I do not recommend THX optimode discs if you have a suitable DVE or Avia alternative. They are fine in a pinch.

4. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

I agree, the THX optimizers are not the greatest, but the little write-ups they have before each test translates pretty well to any kind of calibration test. After setting up my display with the optimizer on Monsters Inc, I only had to do some pretty minor tweaking to get it bang on with Avia. After you figure out what you are doing with any of those tests you will be able to fly through the setup.

Chris is right, different displays do act differently, for example you have to worry about geometry with crt's but it isn't even a concern on digital displays. The instructional portion of the disk should be able to walk you through all of the tests.

5. Jeremy Porter

Jeremy Porter Auditioning

I am currently using DVE for my own calibrations of my rptv and am pleased with the results. If you play through the disc from the beginning it will explain each test and inform you how to calibrate your display using each of them individually. It will tell you what to look for in very simple terms most people should understand. It will explain when and how to use the color filters as well. If you follow the instructions and take your time you should'nt have any problems. Just be patient, it may take a few tries to get it "just right." Good luck

6. Stuart Moss

Stuart Moss Auditioning

If it helps any I have a HD Samsung Plasma screen