Help with DVD settings, 16:9 vs. 4:3 on Enhanced mode (again)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo A. Chimo, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo Agent

All-
    I know similar questions have been posted before, but I am still confused. Here’s what I’ve got (getting tomorrow). I have the 43” RPTV (Sony KP-43HT20) which has the 16:9 automatic “Enhanced Mode” on it, and I am connecting a JVC XV-S60BK progressive scan player with component outs. My questions:
    1. Should I set the DVD player to 16:9 TV shape? Will the TV correctly squeeze the picture to not waste scan lines?
    2. If the above is the case, can I set it and forget it, or will I have to make changes to watch a pan-and-scan DVD (I unfortunately own 2).
    I would like to thank everyone in advance, if it wasn’t for HTF, I would be watching movies on a $200 27”, connected to a pair “surround sound” speakers, complaining about how wide screen is causing me to loose picture. Great job everyone. [​IMG] Of course, my wife is not a big fan of HTF…
    ------------------

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

You have a 4:3 display which can do the 16:9 squeeze and hopefully a non-RCA DVD player. (Some RCA DVD players do more than what is desired in further modifying aspect ratio)
    Set the DVD player such that it thinks you have a 16:9 display. Leave this alone from now on. The effect of this setting is that the player no longer attempts to downconvert anamorphic discs. That is a good thing since downconversion throws away vertical resolution.
    From here on out you let the TV automatically switch its squeeze on and off. On occasion you'll run into a DVD which doesn't trigger the automatic squeeze correct on your TV. In that case override the squeeze on/off manually on the TV to correct the aspect ratio.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD