help with DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ClintG, Aug 8, 2002.

1. ClintG

ClintG Auditioning

I have waited just about long enough to purchase a DVD recorder. I have narrowed my choices down to either the Philips DVDR985 or the Panasonic DMR-E30. I would appreciate help deciding. On one hand, reviews on the Philips model criticize it for its overscan problem with its progressive scan output and it is more expensive than the Panasonic. However, I think I remember reading that the Panasonic model doesn't have a firewire input, preventing recording from digital camcorders. To me this is a glaring omission. Please help. Thank you.

2. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=87745
    By the way, the lack of Firewire input seems to be the price one pays for saving a few hundred bucks, but then again, people seem to have good results with S-Video. YMMV.
    The new DMR-HS2 has a Firewire input.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I have both a DVDR985 (Philips) and a Panasonic DMRE20. Both are good machines, and each has its advantages.

The Philips is more expensive, but it includes a firewire input, and is a bit more user friendly. The DVD+RW (erasable) discs are compatible with the most DVD players made in the past 2 years, which is a BIG plus. The discs are ready to use about 3 seconds after you put them in the player, and the DVD+R finalization is fast. DVD+RW do not require finalization at all. Records 1, 2, 3 or 4 hrs on single sided discs. Picture quality is excellent. Even the 4 hr speed is better than expected. A nice sturdy machine.

The Panasonic is cheaper, but very slow to read discs when inserted, and harder to use. The DVD-RAM (erasble) discs are NOT compatible with DVD players, except for some new Panasonic models. Finalization is much slower on DVD-Rs. Records 1, 2, 4 or 6 hrs. Picture quality is excellent, the 4hr speed OK, but 6 hr speed is poor, and motion scenes are a jerky and problem ridden. The Panasonic also seems to have a flimsy disc tray.

The blanks all around have dropped to under $5.00 each , except for DVD-RAM, which seem to be higher.

Unless you record in DVD-RAM, you will be able to use the DVDs you record in players made in the last 2 years, so don't worry about compatibility unless you want to watch them in very early players.

Both are good machines. If all you want is a DVD recorder to burn write once discs, the Panasonic will suffice. If you want to use erasable discs in other players and will be wanting a firewire connection, and can afford to go higher end, get the Philips.

Either way you'll have a good DVD recorder.

4. Chuck Paskovics

Chuck Paskovics Stunt Coordinator

Also, the Panasonic DMR-HS2 coming out in October will include a 40GB hard drive. This is the drive I'm waiting for. I like the idea of being able to use the hard drive to record tv shows and also 'build' videos first and then write them to DVDr. It also virtually eliminates the need to even use DVDRAM in the machine.

Any one have any more info about the DMR-HS2? Retail cost?

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I don't think the presence of a hard drive eliminates the need for a rewritable DVD format. Remember that the hard 40 GB drive only holds about about 8 hours worth of video at the highest quality setting. The presence of a hard drive opens up your options but I think a DVD-R/hard drive system is less attractive than a DVD-RAM/DVD-R/hard drive system.

The DMR-HS2 will retail for US$1200, so I'm guessing that street prices will be in the high 3-digit US$ range. It's supposed to be out in Oct, just in time for the prices to normalize a bit before Xmas.

6. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

If you guys get more info on these recorders I will be interested to here about it here.

7. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Again...see my posting in regards to the HS2.

Bought and returned in less than a week. Will never purchase another Panasonic recorder. And yes it's a problem with ALL Panasonic recorders.