Help with DVD Player Settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mathew Shelby, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

While watching a movie the other night (Copycat), I accidentally hit the setup button and I guess I never took the time or learned how to do it correctly, but I was welcomed by tons of options to tweak the dvd player. My problem is that DVDs seem to have better picture clarity in Interlaced format than Progressive Scan. I know this shouldn't be right, so I was wondering if anyone could look at my settings and help me see where I am going wrong. FYI: I have a 47" Samsung HDTV, Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD player (hooked directly to TV via Bettercables.com Silver Serpent Components), Kenwood receiver and Polk for mains and surrounds. Okay here goes:

Picture
    TV SHAPE: 16:9 WIDE (Addl options: 4:3 NRML, 4:3 LETTERBOX)
    PROGRESSIVE 4:3 OUTPUT: 4:3 (Addl options: Full)
    PROGRESSIVE CONVERSION: Auto (Addl options: Video, Full)

Audio
    PCM Down Sampling: Off (Addl options: On)
    Audio Out Select: Bitstream (Addl options: PCM)
    Dynamic Range Control: Off (Addl options: On)
    Karaoke Vocal: Off (Addl options: On)
    **I should mention that I am using an optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver -- are the settings correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

Maybe everything is ok. I believe it is possible for interlaced to look better than progressive, if the TV is converting interlaced to progressive internally and is doing a better job of it than the DVD player.

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Thanks Greg...I got a little worried after I read some other member's posts.