What's new

Help with DVD-A Setup/Sound Quality (1 Viewer)

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
I've also posted this message on the HT Basics forum. Apologies for the cross-post, but I'm new here and wasn't sure which would be the more appropriate forum.

I'm fairly new to DVD-A and am having some problems getting set up. I used to just use the Dolby Digital mix on my DVD-A's, but recently decided it was time to upgrade to a true DVD-A player using 5.1 analog connectors. I picked up a low-end Toshiba universal 5-disc changer (don't have the model number handy). I hooked up the 5.1 analog outputs to my receiver using standard RCA cables I had sitting around.

The surround effects are fantastic...light years ahead of the Dolby Digital I had been listening to. Unfortunately, the low end completely dropped away. Bass drums sound more like snare drums, and the sub-woofer is barely firing. The result is music that's wonderfully enveloping but incredibly bright and tinny.

This effect occurs when I set my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D912K) to the "DVD 7.1" setting. If I switch over to "DVD," with an analog source (I understand that this makes the receiver's decoder kick in) the music fills out nicely but I lose the DVD-A precision and surround effect.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to why I would be losing the low end when using the 5.1 analog? Could it be cables? A cheap decoder in the player? Any thoughts on how I might fix this problem? Thanks.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Kinda guessing here....assuming you probably have the 6915....if so, I think it's got some kind of digital bass management feature. Make sure the player is set up so that all your speakers are set to "small" and if it has a crosover adjustment, drop it down to 60-80...I'd guess it defaults at 100. If the crossover isn't adjustable, setting the speakers to small and turning up the gain on the sub might be the best it's going to get.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks