What's new

Help with DVD-A Setup/Sound Quality (1 Viewer)

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fairly new to DVD-A and am having some problems getting set up. I used to just use the Dolby Digital mix on my DVD-A's, but recently decided it was time to upgrade to a true DVD-A player using 5.1 analog connectors. I picked up a low-end Toshiba universal 5-disc changer (don't have the model number handy). I hooked up the 5.1 analog outputs to my receiver using standard RCA cables I had sitting around.

The surround effects are fantastic...light years ahead of the Dolby Digital I had been listening to. Unfortunately, the low end completely dropped away. Bass drums sound more like snare drums, and the sub-woofer is barely firing. The result is music that's wonderfully enveloping but incredibly bright and tinny.

This effect occurs when I set my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D912K) to the "DVD 7.1" setting. If I switch over to "DVD," with an analog source (I understand that this makes the receiver's decoder kick in) the music fills out nicely but I lose the DVD-A precision and surround effect.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to why I would be losing the low end when using the 5.1 analog? Could it be cables? A cheap decoder in the player? Any thoughts on how I might fix this problem? Thanks.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
There is nothing wrong with the equipment you have. I had the same problem but its just the way the format is. The only thing you can do is turn the bass volume up in the player or I think the receiver too, or turn the volume on the sub up. I don't know why this format is like this but it is. Hoped I helped a little.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You are experiencing issues with the bass management (or lack thereof). When using the 5.1 analog connections the crossover on the receiver is not enabled, so the frequencies below 80Hz (or whatever your receiver's crossover frequency might be) are not getting directed to the subwoofer. Instead your speakers are getting the full range, but unable to produce the full range. As you do searches about DVD-A and SACD players you'll eventually run into discussion about bass management. As far as I know the only sub-$200 player to have bass management is the Pioneer 563-A, and even with that unit it is not perfect (e.g. the crossover is rather high, like over 100 Hz or something).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Also, you need to calibrate your speaker levels for the 5.1 analog. That might help, but it won't be as it should be with the crossover.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree with Cameron that it is probably a bass mngt issue. The model number of your Toshiba is 6915. I had two for a couple of days and it does do bass mngt but I didn't have them long enough to guess at a cross-over point (I know. It's a slope, not a point). Make sure speakers are set to "small" and the sub is "on" on the players speaker menu. Anyway, during the short time I had them, I didn't notice any loss in bass response so keep fiddling with things. And I hope you have better luck with your's then I had with mine. BTW, the 563's cross-over seems to be at 200hz which is WAY too high. I think the 6915 is a little lower but not sure.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You mentioned "DVD 7.1 setting" and "DVD" setting.
Neither one of these is the setting for listening to the High Resolution tracks of DVD-A or SACD. When using the 6 analog outputs of the player, you need to be using the "Multi-channel" setting of the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks