1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with duel Tempest IB design for my garage theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ron-P, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Below is an older pic of my garage theater. I currently have a sonotube sub with a single Tempest. Due to some redesigns in the theater the big tube must go. The room is 9' x 16' by 7' high. You can see more of the room by clicking on the link below.

I don't have room to have a 20"+ manifold sticking outside the theater so a wall mount design will work best. I was thinking about using the existing hole where the AC unit is and mount the Tempests there. Most say 2 is minimum so I'll order up a second, if this will work.

So, can some of you IB pros chime in here and give this IB newbie some tips on mounting, locations, wiring up the Tempests...etc? What kind of sound will fill the garage by having the Tempests exposed in there?

I've been to the Cult room but not many of my questions related to my specific concerns are answered there.

[​IMG]

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Exactly the same as what you'll hear on the inside...which might be an issue if you typically leave the garage door open[​IMG]

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Luckily, it's insulated and closed when viewing. My concern is how it will affect the inside of the house and how much will get it there. Currently with the sonotube it's only noticeable at very loud levels inside the house.

Another concern is having the drivers less then 2' from the closed garage door. That alone might stop me from doing this. That air movement could cause some serious rattles with the garage door.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You'd need to pressurize the entire garage to get significant rattling of the garage door. That being said there will be some rattling.

Take your tube sub and put it by the garage door. Turn it up and see how that sounds. That's what the rear wave is going to do in the garage.

Since the HT is a bit on the small side, I recommend putting a manifold on the outside wall of HT. It's easier to access the drivers if they're mounted on the outside of the box, as opposed to the inside.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Problem is, I don't have a location to put that manifold. It won't fit between the end of the theater and the garage door and the other half of the garage is for my wifes van so nothing can go along that wall. Also cannot put it topside as the garage door opens just over the top of the theater. That is why an inside wall mount design will be the only way to go.

I will try your rattle test idea with my sonosub and see what happens.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thomas

He posted roughly 14-inches (wall to garage door) in another thread where the IB idea was suggested.

Ron P. might be getting actual wall to garage door measuremnts for you and post back.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I've got 13" from theater wall to garage door. Not near enough to allow for a manifold. Even if I recessed part of that manifold into the wall of the theater, it won't work. It's a wall mount design or nothing. [​IMG]

Depending on how it sounds by putting the sonosub outside the theater will depend on if I even go IB. I'll find out in a couple of weeks when I get the screen wall done and the rig back together.

I may not be able to even go IB, at this point I just don't know.

Thanks for your help guys.

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

How big is the actual AC hole.

W x H x D...??

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    It's real close to 12"H x 20"W and 5.5" deep. Basically, it's a hole in the wall. It opens up directly onto the front stage. The H and W can be expanded in any direction without major modifications as I built it this way due to the fact I did not have an AC unit at the time I built the theater.

If the sound travels in both directions equally from the Tempests can I build a manifold and vent it to the outside keeping the manifold inside the theater thus no box on the outside?

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Yes we call these 'outies' .....[​IMG]

Here's an 'outie' that vents into a crawlspace.

[​IMG]

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I love that outie and the other one at the IBC's site that is very very similar to it.

To simple and very nice looking.

===>
    Might Thomas have you thinking a bit more now Ron..?
    ===>

Tiny sub, multi drivers, big response.

This type/style IB might work for your situation very well. This assuming your garage (pre Sono sub test) passes for you, the better half, along with the house & garage.

Regards
    Geoff ¥

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I think you could still do a manifold on the outside with dual Tempests. Just don't build the manifold square to the wall. Angle it making a trapezoid to get enough surface area on the sides to mount the tempests to while still keeping the depth short enought to clear the garage door. Nothing says the motors have to stick to the outside either.

Although if you have space for a square manifold on the inside, that will work just fine and be much easier to build.

14. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Could you flush mount the speakers and not have a manifold at all? Looks like you could put them over your screen and have clearance for the garage door.

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Some good ideas here and believe me, my mind is hard at work. Yes, Geoff, Thomas has me thinking and that "outie" might just work perfectly for my situation.

Joey, my original thought was to do just that, flush mount the Tempests on the inside of the theater having them vent into the garage with no manifold. This set-up still seems to be the most effective way to go.

I finished framing in the screen wall last night. Tonight I'll get it all painted black and my screen mounted. Once the speakers are set in place the rig will be up and running and I'll stick the sonosub in the garage. Should not be a problem to test it this weekend and report back.