What's new

Help with DTS (1 Viewer)

David Brass

Agent
I just read the thread entitled "I love you Dolby Digital" and the gist of the thread describes a problem I may be having that I would appreciate some help with.

I have a Yamaha home-theater-in-a-box from a few years ago that includes the HTR-5440 receiver and the DV-S5350 DVD player.

Here is what is bothering me: I can't seem to play the DTS track on any of my DVDs that have them.

What I've done so far: Selecting the DTS track on the DVD menu and pushing play results in absolute silence. Selecting Dolby digital 5.1 always works.

Setting the output on the DVD player through the on-screen menu to All (there is also a PCM and analog option), also nothing.

Selecting different surround configurations on the receiver yields nothing as well.

I have the DVD player hooked up to the receiver with a toslink cable, and to the TV with an S-video cable. I also have a set of RCA interconnects from the analog out on the back of the DVD player to the CD input on the receiver. I also have RCA cable connecting the DVD player's digital out to the DVD input on the back of the receiver.

What am I missing?

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
first off i think you have too many interconnects coming from your dvd player, to get sound... even for your cd's all you need is either the optical(toslink) cable from your dvd to your receiver, or...

"I also have RCA cable connecting the DVD player's digital out to the DVD input on the back of the receiver."

that does the same thing as i mentioned above.

second to get dts, you gotta enable it on the dvd, dvd player and the reciever.... from what your saying you can't seem to see anywhere in the dvd player menu to enable dts, maybe you should get out the manual and look up in index from anything that has to do with enabling dts play...

David Brass

Agent
I have been through the DVD player manual several times from cover to cover and the only thing it says about enabling DTS is to make sure that the digital output setting on the DVD player is set to "All" which it is.

At the same time I have been through the receiver manual and there it says that I have to select one of the DVD configurations that enables DTS. I believe I've done that as well. The reasons I say "believe" is that on all of the other inputs (CD, Cable, Aux) you can select one of three options: Auto, DTS, or Analog. When I'm in DVD mode on the receiver there is no Auto, DTS, or Analog option as far as I can tell. However a DSP lite illuminates on the front panel of the receiver, but nowhere does it actually indicate DTS. That's why I described all the cable connections, just in case I didn't have the right ones hooked up.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
I have that same HTIB(well mine has the 5450) and have had no problems. I have my DVD player running from the optical out to the DVD optical in on the reciever and have no problems. You have to push the dvd input on the remote a couple of times I believe it is to set it to auto. And you need to make sure you only have one cable running from the dvd player to only one input on the reciever, any more and it won't work. The DVD must also have the DTS option and you must enable it in the DVD menu. Not all DVD's will do DTS.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Will - your DVD player has to 1) be DTS capable 2)you have to use a digital connection 3)in the DVD player's setup, you have to set digital to on, and possibly DTS to on as well - DTS is often a SEPARATE setting on most players. With your receiver set to "auto" with the correct input, it should work.

According to the manual for David's Yammie DVD, it is DTS capable, and setup correctly (set to "All"), so I would next look at the connections. David, you have two digital connections to your receiver, according to the original post. Disconnect one, and the analog connection, and try it again. The only odd thing is, if you are getting DD, and there are no other settings, then DTS should work as well.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible you do have DTS? How do you know you're not listening to a DTS soundtrack? What happens when you set DTS on the DVD, do you hear nothing? Is there really an icon in the HTIB receiver that would show you a DTS logo?

David Brass

Agent
Thank you all for your replies. I got it working last night and here's what I found out.

I have never had 5.1 sound since I hooked up my system. I have been watching movies with 5-channel stereo.

Here's how I figured it out: I selected DTS on the D-TV/CBL option and voila the DTS logo lit up on the receiver. I disconnected the toslink from the DVD in and reconnected it to the D-TV/CBL optical in on the back of the receiver. Night and Day. When I select DTS and play a DTS track I get DTS sound. When I select Auto and play a Dolby Digital surround I get DD5.1 sound.

I had never heard a home theater system before I got mine and I didn't know how to set it up properly. Since I started thinking about two channel music more than movies, I started mucking around with my receiver and figuring things out. I now have voices coming from the center channel, music coming from the front left and right, and surround effects coming from the surround speakers.

I can't wait to go home tonight, put the kids to bed, and watch a movie!

Bottom line, the 5440 I have has problems and the DVD optical in does not function as it is supposed to. There is no way to do what I did with the D-TV/CBL in with the DVD in. Believe me, I tried. And that stupid owners manual needs to be re-written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks