What's new

Help with DTS Laserdisc! (1 Viewer)

Nick Jablome

Agent
I just received the DTS version of Toy Story laserdisc, and i have my CLD-D703 hooked up through a digital coax cable to my receiver, which is a Sony STR-DE895. For some reason i don't get any sound at all, and i even tried hooking it up using a TOSlink optical cable. Am i supposed to select something on my receiver or laserdisc player?

I have the settings at Auto instead of PCM, and i can get DTS and DD from my dvd's. Please help!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
there might be a setting that lets you choose between analog and digital output... i know my LD player doesnt allow simultaneous audio output of analog and digital

Nick Jablome

Agent
I don't know what i just did but now it works. I turned it off then took the disc out and put it back in and now i got DTS. thanks though

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
That happens with some player/reciever combinations. Plus of course the dts data are formatted as Redbook, like a dtsCD. You will also be able to get a nice-sounding analog stereo surround track by hooking up a pair of stereo cables [ya' know, Left and Right] and selecting "Analog" on the player using the D/A/CX button on the remote. Note this will have no effect on the digital output.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

That's the tip-off -- it's a transient problem. You may be playing the disc with no problem, but if you pause it, the receiver will probably lose its digital lock on the bitstream.

The only permanent cure is to change the player or the receiver.

M.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I used to have an RCA reciever with DTS decoding, and it would lose the DTS signal and switch to stereo mode when playing DTS lasers, which resulted in a lot of loud noise! It would be playing fine and just suddenly lose the signal. I then purchased a Denon reciever which had a specific DTS mode and it never lost signal with the Denon. I didn't keep the denon long and ended up with a Pioneer Elite 49TXi and it also has never lost the signal. So I think it has to do more with the reciever than the LD player.

greg_t

Screenwriter
My first LD player was a Pioneer Elite CLD52. Not happy with the video performance, I moved up to an Elite 79. Much better video but my RCA reciever would still lose DTS signal with it as well. Going to the Denon reciever resolved the issue regardless of which player I used. I now use a Pioneer HLD-X9 and have no DTS signal loss using it with the Pioneer Elite 49TXi reciever.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Michael, the only permanent cure may be to change head units. This question has come up many times. It's lazy, careless reciever design. It's happened with DVD's & DTS CD's too, although in fewer instances, seemingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks